GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, May 31, 2010

Whew!!

Time for another update! So the month of May has been an eventful one, as far as racing and training goes.. As I mentioned last time, our 'open water swim mondays' have begun and I cannot describe how greatly this has helped me improve my confidence for race day swimming. The 1st time out in my wetsuit was a stark reminder of how my last (which was also the 1st time ever in a wetsuit!) attempt at swimming in a wetsuit went... It was at Chicago tri last summer... and it didn't go well. That race went OK, but I had a bit of a 'freak out' during that swim... So anyway, the more we've gotten out in the lakes to swim and break in our wetsuits, the more I feel like I'm actually swimming and cruising comfortably along...and I've already seen the benefits of this at races. Last weekend I tested my endurance and recovery by doing 2 triathlons in 2 days... it went well! I started off with the race in Terre Haute... it was a 'spri-lympic' distance (betweeen sprint and olympic), so 800m swim, 25mi bike and 5mi run... my longest race to date! I felt pretty darn good, aside from the side-stitch I got on the run (probably a product of pushing hard on the bike, eating on the bike (1st time for this in a race), and then starting my run off too quickly...live and learn! But I did manage a 3rd place (age group) finish that day. Then the next day was our TNT practice tri for those of the team doing the Elkhart race on 6/12...so it was another 'spri-lympic' with just under a mile swim, 16 HILLY mile ride, and then about a 4.5mi hilly run. I felt great for this race and managed to pull out a big 'W'!! I came in at 1:53 (ish)...which all that really meant was that I was able to push myself in races back to back, felt great, and gained more insight on racing smart, eating/drinking right, transitions, and much more! Training has been going well, too... Our longest group training was a couple weeks ago with a 30mi ride, then a 10K w/ 8 hill repeats in the middle of that...and then another 5K! All in all...took about 3 1/2 hrs... but it was a good one! This past weekend was pretty 'ride' focused with a 50 mile ride (after a 6mi run and 1hr swim) on saturday and then a HILLY!!! (yikes) 60 mile ride on sunday. I'm pretty sure this is the most riding I've done before, so my legs are pretty tired, but again...all in all... I feel pretty good! In other news... Mason got to run his 1st race last weekend, too! They had a 'fun run' during the triathlon in Terre Haute, so Mason got to join in. We have video...and I'll try to figure out how to add that here because it is SO cute... He ran, then would stop, then run and squeal, then stop, notice the 'water'(lake), run, stop to point out a 'doggie', back to running as everyone cheered him across the finish. Pretty cool for such a little guy! So...still having fun with the races... 2 more months to go til the big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment