GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, July 17, 2010

the Taper begins!

So...this week was the start to our tapering to get us rested and ready for the big race day. This week our taper just meant a little less volume, but still keeping the same intensity going... Next week will be more cutting back on volume and more 'slow and easy' type workouts.. and then the next week will be mostly resting and travel up to event weekend! So this past week...nothing too exciting to report, really. I did get back to my usual monday 'strength and endurance' class this week.. Which I'll do again next week, but definitely will skip it the week of the race. This week we had another gal teaching... Our usual gal is tough and ALWAYS gives a good workout, but this gal was rough, too! I was sore for a few days, but I always love that! Monday, tues and fri I got my swims in. Wednesday I had an early 6mi run (soaked again from the humid mornings) and then we had a long 45mi ride scheduled, so a few from TNT came down to ride the south side that evening for that one. It's been really HOT still, so it was warm..but I felt good for that ride. Thursday was just a shorter spin with my friend, Melissa, whom I met through TNT, but she also goes to the Y with me and trains with that group...her 1/2 IM is this sunday...so good luck to her! Saturday we met up with the group (our crew for group trainings is dwindling, for sure! It's been a long season, but I still really enjoy getting together with the team and coaches for a good workout) for a 40mi ride and a 3mi run. I don't think I took it as 'seriously' as I maybe should have... It's tough to really gear up for a relatively shorter workout after something as tough as the practice last weekend. I felt great on the ride, but I don't think I ate or drank enough because I REALLY felt the heat on the run. BUT, we managed an 8min/mi pace, despite the heat...so, as always, another good day! Tomorrow I'm planning on getting in my 8mi run (not sure of location yet..hilly or flat? with people or alone? decisions, decisions..) and then meeting up with some folks for a swim in the lake! Again...we're still getting some good miles in, but taking it a bit easier.
On the 'honored heros' front... Lauryn got her chemo port taken out last week! Her mom, who's also our asst. coach, Dea, brought it (sterilized, of coarse) to swim practice for us to see...it was quite heavy, actually, and crazy to think it was in that little 6yr old's chest for so long. Luke, our other tri team hero who's also 6 yrs old, has also finished his last round of chemo and should be getting his port out soon, too! So things are looking good there. Their families are very relieved to be done with treatments, but also nervous about possibilities....but they can only be positive! And they are... They really are. It's amazing to see the strength of these moms and kids and families... I can't even imagine what they've been through and for them to come through it all with smiles and determination is really something to see. I'd also like to thank all of my supporters, family and friends again for helping me to surpass my fundraising goals and for staying tuned to all of my trainings and racing. I really appreciate you ALL and could not have done this without you. It's not quite over yet, but I'm feeling a little like this 1st chapter with Team in Training is coming to a close and it has been truly amazing. If anyone out there is contemplating joining TNT for a race...please let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with. I HIGHLY recommend joining in the fun for yourself because it is SO rewarding. There are all kinds of events they are involved in, so there's something for everyone! And they really can take all levels of athletes through the steps and get them to where they need to be for their event... So please...if you have any desire at all, you should check it out and give it a try! (or 'tri'...ha ha) I promise you won't regret it. SO. I'll continue to update as we near event day... Thanks, again, for your support and for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment