GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, October 20, 2014

The sled and I are in a fight

Speaking of (were we?), I was just discussing this with Mason this morning as he was yelling at his shoes for their insubordinate behavior..perhaps yelling at inanimate objects is hereditary? I know for a fact that my mom has had her share of choice words with computers..so.. Science! Anyway. We had my favorite piece of sh.. I mean..workout equipment in today's workout and..spoiler alert..it did not go well. I'm not sure why the sled and I don't get along. I WANT to love the sled, but I just don't think it loves me back. I always seem to have some issue..today it was a combo platter of inexplicably sticky pavement, a sloped track that seemed to have some magnetic pull that would guide my sled directly down to the mud (can we get a meteorologist on the case? Someone check the gravitational pull of that spot.. It's all out of whack), and then..it started raining.. Oh. My. God. 'For real?!', I asked it.. I think it was, indeed, for real. So that was fun. But the sled and I are no longer talking.. Not until it apologizes..and means it..
Otherwise, though..today's workout stuff went pretty well. Started off with
Sets of 2 snatches at 95/110/125/135#
Sets of 2 squats at 200/210/225#
12 front rack walking lunges w 105# EMOTM (every minute on the minute) for 5 minutes.. Time flies when you're..lunging!
3 sets of 25 GHDs
Then I forgot about the snatch EMOTM stuff, so went back later with the boys.. Instead I tried to get the workout in before I needed to get home..that went well..
20/16/12/8/4
Snatches (95#)
Strict handstand push-ups (HSPU)
200' sled push (180# added to the sled) after each round
Well.. The snatches went well. I was able to do pretty big sets of those and felt like I was moving well. HSPU were alright, too..mostly sets of 5/6.. But the sled. I honestly don't know how it took me as much time as it did.. I guess conversations with metal sleds take time.. But the whole dang thing took me..wait for it.. 28:18. Oops!
I channeled my inner zen and moved on..
Went back to the gym a bit later with my two little fellas.. It's fall break, you know, so we get to hang for another week! The boys were on and off, as far as behaving at the gym today, but luckily John was there to distract Mason with lots of talk about his favorite subject..sports! So I got to work on my aforementioned forgotten snatch-fest. We had:
1 snatch at 70% (110#):
Every :30 x 3 min
Every :15 x 2 min
Every :10 x 1 min
1 minute rest between each set
That went well! No issues there..
Next I decided to do a little prepping for our competition this weekend.. It was also the gyms workout of the day, so we did:
EMOTM x 12 min
Evens: 15 wallballs
Odds: 30 double unders
Then rest 1 min, then
3 min AMRAP
15 burpees to a plate
15 box jumps
That was fine, as well.. I think I only missed one DU, so I'm getting a little more used to my 'Jump N Rope' rope, which I purchased at Granite Games and sometimes don't do great with it.. It's just a little different than my other one.. The speed, maybe? It's un-coated, so I guess it moves a little differently.. It also leaves quite a sting when ya miss! Guess I better quit missing..
I would like to also mention my Lululemon Fit Session from last evening, since they said they wanted feedback.. Not sure if this is what they had in mind? Anyway.. It was fun! I had only been in their store once before and it was a while ago.. They truly do have beautiful clothes. We were introduced to the employees that would be there to help us and they explained that we could try things on and pick out a favorite shirt/bra/or shorts to take home! That's pretty cool.. These prizes from Bracket Buster are working out pretty well! I actually got to wear my new Reebok long sleeve shirt in my workout this morning.. Oh, did I forget to mention that it was also chilly as I wrangled that sled? So. Much. Fun. It actually wasn't bad..the cold part.. But it let me try out my new gear! But I digress.. So at Lululemon (is that all one word? Should all the L's be in caps? Can I just call it Lulu? Or are we close enough for just Lu?.. Fair enough.. Didn't think so), I immediately gravitated toward their running shorts.. I believe it was the 'Run Times Short'? A couple of their shorts had the wide, flat waistband that I enjoy (I almost exclusively wear Under Armor 'get going' shorts, which have that wide waist band..is waistband one word? Auto correct does not think so, but it looks odd as 2 words.. Maybe I should just stop saying 'waistband'), but the 'speed shorts' were a little too short for my personal preference. I believe there are rules for the 'over thirty' crowd in that regard.. Anyway, so I got to work on finding just the right pair..which was tougher than I thought it would be! Usually I go with Medium shorts without giving it much, if any, thought. Occasionally a pair looks really big and I have to go with small, but not often.. Well, here at the Lulu, they use the number sizing system.. So the guy says that size 6 would be small and size 8 is medium.. But this confuses my little brain because I wear a size 4 in clothes.. But I KNOW I'm not an XS.. Mama didn't raise no fool.. Anyway. Long story short, I went with the 6's, which would technically be a small.. The 8's just felt too loose and nobody needs to lose their drawers mid double under.. The struggles, y'all! When I got home, I compared them to the shorts I normally wear and it looks about right. I tried on some of their shirts and sports bras.. They are beautiful, nice fabric and well made..but a little complicated for this simple gal. Maybe I'm crazy, but I work out at 5:30 in the morning and the last thing I need is to get stuck in the intricate straps of a bra or shirt.. Lovely, yes..but just not something I felt that I would wear.. That's just me. Maybe if I were a 'wear just my sports bra while I work out' kind of person, it would make more sense.. But since I can count the number of times that I have felt so hindered by my light weight tank top that I just HAD to remove it on..zero fingers.. Again. Just not the product for me. So that was my fun times at the Lu..Lu..lemon..

No comments:

Post a Comment