GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, June 19, 2010

First loser?? I think not...

So as the saying goes (I think..), 2nd place is the 1st loser... But I happen to quite like the ol' 2nd place spot! Today I raced a sprint tri distance at Eagle Creek...which was a 500m swim, 10mi bike and 3mi run... I pushed my pace and did my best...and wound up bringing home 2nd in my age group...and a major award! (a lovely glass mug, from which I drank my post workout smoothie when I finally got home hrs later...more on that in a bit) It was a fun race, as usual. I saw a few of my TNT teammates (but it wasn't a team event, so my Steelhead buddies were off training elsewhere) and some other folks that I've met along the way through training and other things. This race was also special and fun because the group that I've been training with at the YMCA was there and most of them (actually...all but me) were racing for the 1st time! So it was fun to enjoy that experience with them and to see them all become official triathletes... I haven't looked at my times/splits yet, but I know I did the best I could... I felt kind of slow in the water.. Not really sure why. But I felt comfortable in my stroke and didn't have any freak-out moments, so I consider it a great success! Then off on the bike...AH, my bike! I made an amazing improvment to my 'machine' this week... I had my bike 'aero-barred' and fitted on thursday... WOW! What a difference! Everyone always talks about how great aero bars are and how it improves your speed, saves your legs, etc, etc... I'm a believer!! I can now coast at speeds that I used to have to push HARD to get to...so I'm very excited about that. So I felt great on the bike, but may have been a little too focused on being down in my arrows, and not focused enough on hydrating... But all in all, a good ride. Then off to the run... There were times I felt great in the run, and times I didn't feel so great.. But I think I did OK. A nice sprint down that hill and in to the finish! But the fun had only just begun... I had talked to coach about what he thought I should do for training after the race, since the sprint distance is so short...and he recommended a 30mi bike and 5mi run (brick) some time either right after, or later in the day... So since I already had all of my things and Eagle Creek (where the race was) is a nice, easy place to get those miles in, I just planned on getting that brick in after the race cleared out. It went surprisingly well. I didn't exactly push my speed on the bike, for the most part, but my legs felt pretty good. Then the run went much better than I had expected! I felt pretty darn good, physically... it was really hot, since it was after 1pm at that point, but other than the heat, I was doing fine! So...that was my day. A race AND a brick! always something fun and new with this triathlon training. Can't wait to see what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment