GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Sunday, June 27, 2010

I Was Running

So this week was quite 'run heavy', as I like to call it. It seems that with training 3 sports, you inevitably end up with some weeks where you ride and ride and ride...and other weeks where you get lots of time on the ol' dogs, hitting the pavement for mile after mile...and times when I feel like I spent all week in a pool or a lake?! So this week...was a running week...and my achilles/heel is feeling it! I don't think I've talked about this injury in this blog...mostly because I hadn't really had a problem with it for quite some time now, but I have some achilles tendonitis/plantar fascitis deal going on. I did PT for it a few weeks back and it's been pretty well contained with the use of a brace that I sleep with on my foot to keep it in the 'flexed' position, which helps with the pain and scar tissue and things a LOT. This had all started way back in October when I was training for a marathon... Really the only thing that's going to make it 'better', will be when I eventually let it rest... But now is not that time. Anyway, so I ice and advil it up and hope for the best! This week included an 8mi HOT and MUGGY run on wednesday morning (even at 5am I was SOAKED!), then a fairly long brick of 30 miles ride and 5 miles run on thursday, I did a longer brick on saturday with a 50 mile ride and 6 mile run (plus I was all done with that by 8:30am! I had a birthday date with my little boy... turned the big 2!)... And finally... a 12 mile hilly, HOT run sunday morning. Luckily I had some company for that long run because it. was. tough. But here we are! Another week closer to the big race day. We're really starting to wind down here. I'm feeling good (despite my sore leg...it'll be better in a few days, I'm sure... I'll just focus more on the swim and bike this week!). Feeling strong. Feeling PSYCHED about the big day. And, of coarse, reminding myself of the REAL reason that I signed up for this race this season...for our honored heros and all those effected by blood cancers. Our tri team had a bit of a 'roller coaster' deal over the past couple weeks. Our teammate, known as 'Grampie', who is the grandfather of our team's honored hero, Lauryn, and the father of our asst. coach, Dea, successfully finished his race at Elkhart, which was the Olympic distance...but noticed a headache throughout the race and wasn't feeling well... He learned he had a torn thoracic aorta and needed emergency surgery?! But he's doing quite well now, so we're all thankful for that. But his strength and determination continues to inspire us all. So.... here we go to another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment