GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sometimes you handle the barbell, sometimes the barbell handles you!

Quick lil recap of Tuesday comin at ya..

Power cleans from above the knee: sets of 3 @115/125, 2 sets of 2 @135
Push press: 4 sets of 3 @135/145/145/155
Good mornings: 4 sets of 6 @85#/single leg jumps: 4 sets of 6 each leg
Workout:
4 rounds
8 hang cleans(135#)
16 pistols
24 cal row

As I'm sure you already guessed, the calorie row was where I spent most of my time in this workout.. It took me 15:13 to complete and went mostly well.. I was able to do my first set of hang cleans unbroken, which I was pleased with. I broke the second set at 6 and two, but was feeling good and going for all 8 again in the 3rd set..until I lost my hook grip and, somehow, in a failed attempt to re-grip by letting go of the bar (?!) while it was at my hip/in hang position..but I must have been off balance, or something, because that maneuver left me crumpled on the floor under the bar! Luckily I fit under the barbell, so wasn't hurt at all and just laughed at the ridiculousness of it.. So other than some lost time, all was well.. I was able to link all 8 again in the last round, so..redemption!  And that was that..
I went home and felt pretty tired.. Sleepy tired, not necessarily 'worn out' tired, if that makes sense.. But I looked through my week of training and the workouts for the upcoming competition and came up with a plan.. For today, I was to head back to the gym for a little strength/skill work and then to do the gym's workout for the day.. I wanted to do some Deadlifts at the weight being used in a workout at the comp..might as well throw some bar facing burpees in there..and then round it out with some muscle up work.. It looked like:
4 rounds
4 MU
4 DL (240#)
8 over the bar burpees
Not too bad. Muscle ups were OK.. First set of 4, then 3/1, 2/2, and another set of 4. DL were all unbroken and felt pretty strong, so I feel good about that heading in to the competition..
The gym's workout was a quick one for me..but still tough..
4 rounds
8 jerks (95#)
12 box jumps (20")
16 ring rows
Hands down, the ring rows were the 'meat and potatoes', as they say, of the workout..yeouch! Took me 5:36 to complete it and it felt good! So that was it for today. I asked my coach what he thought about taper/prep for next weekend.. I told him my plan of doing my regular training this week plus some specific skill/workouts to prep.. Not going too crazy. A pretty normal week of training, but to start scaling back a bit next week..mon-wed and then travel on thurs! He said that sounded good, so that's what I'll do! But, for now..we sleep..

No comments:

Post a Comment