GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, September 22, 2014

Another fun team series day

After my lazy day off, I had another slow start to my day on Saturday.. Sleeping in as long as the kids let me..which, since Miles is free to come on out of his room as soon as he's ready, it's been more like 6:30 these days.. But that still beats 4! So it felt leisurely to me.. Especially since I didn't need to leave for the gym until 10:30-ish.. We had another day of getting our group together to do the second team series workouts and the traveling folks wouldn't arrive until 11:30, so no need to rush! Once we all got there, though.. It was time to get moving. Started off with a 2 rep max bench press. I was feeling good and started with what felt like an easy 165#. My max is only 175, so I guess trying it for a 2 rep max wasn't going to be easy. The first one felt fine, but that second one got tricky..and then stuck..and then stopped moving upwards.. Dang it! After the rest took their turns, I tried again at 170.. And then again.. Same thing! I think I learned that once the ol bench press starts to fail.. It's down hill from there.. Oh, well. Not bad. I had hoped for a bit more, but it wasn't for lack of trying! We ran through the rest of the 3 workouts and things went well! We had cleans at 105#, and those felt fine.. No collar bone/neck issues! It's actually feeling a lot better. I think it just needed me to stop hitting it long enough for it to heal a bit.. Go figure! We also had muscle ups in that workout and those felt good, too. Sets of 4, holding strong! I guess if I was following my plan, I'd have sets of 6 by now? But I think I need to back off of those just a bit.. Maybe just 2 or 3 days a week?
Next up was a relay where we each did 21/15/9 OHS and TTB's.. I underestimated that one a bit..as usual.. But I managed to squeak out my last few TTB's to make it through all unbroken! I usually don't feel my core/hips much in TTB's (even though that's what it is technically working, I usually feel it more in my grip), but those last few were feeling it for sure! But that one went well. Last, but not least, was partners doing 50 Deadlifts (155# for females) and 50 HSPU. Kicker here was that while one partner worked, the other had to hold, either the bar or a handstand.. Not too bad, though. I partnered with Nick and we were able to go back and forth with little or no rest through almost 3 rounds before the 15 min was up.. And then we were done! Not bad for a days work. We hung out a bit and chatted. There is a lot of discussion going on about upcoming competitions and such.. First up is my attempt to get a group on board to go out to Boston in January for the East Coast Championships. Just like Granite Games, this is a big comp that pulls a lot of top athletes out and the cool thing about this one is that you can do the individual competition on Saturday and then get a team of 4 together for the team comp on Sunday! Could be fun, right? Well.. We would have to do the on-line qualifier stuff first, so I need to get them on board quick! So anyway, that was that.
Sunday started off with an ill-advised attempt at fast mile repeats! I was shooting for the low 6 minute range and..that did not go well.. I had to settle for 6:43 and 6:49.. Ouch! Next time I will shoot for 6:30-6:40.. My last mile repeats, which I did a couple weeks ago, were all around 7 min, so I'm not sure what I was thinking? Aim high, I say! As soon as I finished that, I went over to the gym. My plan was to do the strength work from day 6 of this week.. Which was:
Sets of 2 on OHS: 125/135/145/165/175
Sets of 3 snatch balance: 115/125/135/145
Snatch balance presses at 55-65#/weighted GH raises with 20#
JD had mentioned pulling a weighted sled for a mile, and what could be more fun than that?! So I joined him.. It wasn't too bad! I added 70# to the sled and each lap took right around 2 min, finishing at 15:51. Good times! I hung around and worked, then when I got home, it was time for the apple orchard! We are usually terrible with this.. We always plan to get there at a good time, but usually don't make it til almost November when the pickins are slim, at best.. So this year was a huge success! Apples everywhere! Apples that taste good! We filled an $18 bag to the brim and then Matt immediately made apple crisp! Apples! We did it.. Finally.. 5 years of trying and finally a success. AND. As if that isn't exciting enough.. All that apple tasting wiggled Mason's loose tooth right out of his mouth! Our first lost tooth.. Big stuff!
And now Monday.. Pretty good day, though not my best workout ever..
Snatch with a 2-3 sec pause at power position: 2 sets of 3 @ 95/105# and 1 set of 3 @ 110#
3 sets of 5 squats at 200#.. Yeouch! Reps 4 and 5 of each set were tough!
Overhead walking lunges: 3 sets of 8 @ 120#/ 3 sets of 25 GHDs
High hang snatch EMOTM x 10 min: stuck at 115#. Most reps flew up and felt great, but I had some misses, so didn't increase the weight.. I was feeling pretty tired by this point, since I have to race through things on days like this. And snatches right after GHDs are always a little rough for me.. But, anyway.. Not bad, but not great. I had planned to increase to 120 and 125..
The workout was kind of rough, too..
15 min AMRAP
12 single arm snatch (55#)
16 CTB pull-ups
20 HSPU

As usual, the snatches were my sticking point. CTB and HSPU felt fine.. But those snatches slow me down! Any time I try to speed up, I have a near miss or not great rep that makes me slow back down.. So I only got through 3 rounds + 9 snatches.
After I got Mason on the bus and Miles ready to go, we went back in for more! The gym's workout for today was Helen and I hadn't done that one in a long time! I figured it would be a good 'second workout' option for me. I'm still pretty sore.. Probably some new soreness and just not being fully recovered.. My bench pressing muscles are sore! Shoulders.. My butt and hammies are sore.. Probably from DL and my sled pull, but I woke up with those sore legs on Sunday, so it must be mostly from Saturdays stuff.. So I couldn't come up with any lifts that sounded like a good idea, given my soreness and another comp to try to feel a little bit fresh for this weekend.. So I just stuck with some stretching, the Helen workout, core work with hollow/arch rocks, and some handstand/free-standing HSPU work! That was fun.. Sort of.. I hadn't worked on them since that weekend clinic this summer, so I wanted to get some more practice.. I got a couple sets of 4-5, so we will call it pretty good.. Helen is:
3 rounds
400m run
21 kettle bell swings (35#)
12 pull-ups

I'm not sure what a 'good' time is, but I tried to push the run as much as I could and didn't stop on the KBs or pull-ups.. It took me 7:38 to finish and it felt like a good burn! I spoke with Mike a bit about where my focus should be for the next few months.. Leading up to GG, I had that comp in mind for training and once the workouts were released, my 'extra stuff' training got even more specific.. Now that the comp is all done, I'm a little unsure of what to do? I know there is still a TON of things to work on..get better at.. Stronger..faster.. I know Mikes programming obviously works to improve all those things, but I always feel like I need to do more.. Just little things to continue to push me to be better. I think Mike agrees, somewhat, but he also wants to make sure I don't injure myself or get overworked..which I get..rationally.. But the irrational part of me just wants to do it all and conquer all the things and enter all the comps..and maybe win?! Some?? I think I need a balance of the two.. Push hard and work on weaknesses, but listen to my body and slow down and/or rest when I need it.. Sounds good, right? Fool proof! So for now.. I take it kind of/sort of easy-ish this week to be ready for the team comp this weekend.. I think I'm going to do the online qualifiers for Wodapalooza in Miami and ECC in Boston and just see what happens.. If I qualify for both, but can get some interest in the team stuff in ECC, I'll go for that.. But if I'm solo, I'll probably opt for Miami.. That's provided I even qualify.. But I figure it can't hurt to try. The workouts for those are typically more 'open-ish', so 'light wt/move fast' workouts that are always good to do, so it should fit in fine with my 'take it easier the next few weeks and then gear things up again for which ever comp you go for in Jan' (it's a working title) plan.. We shall see! I should probably just focus on getting un-sore, but I like to have a goal. I'm sure I'm super fun to coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment