GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Mostly back to normal.. I think

So after a couple of lack-luster training days last week, I finally decided to do something different to get off of that train I had myself on.. It was a cycle of..sore and tired, but think I'm ok to workout.. Try working out, but feel awful, so take a day off.. Feel better, so do ALL THE THINGS!..workout too hard nd find myself in the hole again.. So I finally told myself I would not go back to the gym until I could honestly say I felt good for a whole day.. No wincing while walking. No sniffles. No falling asleep at the drop if a hat.. You know, like a normal functioning adult? So that meant I took all of wed and Thursday off. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, or enough, but in assure you, it was both of those things. I felt 100x better on Friday, so I decided to go in early, practice a snatch EMOTM for the competition I was doing that weekend, and then bang out the Wodapalooza workout for the qualifier this week! Snatches went well, so we were off to a good start.. The qualifier workout was:
Find a 4 rep max shoulder to overhead in 2 min, then:
9 min AMRAP
3 cleans (95#)
3 hang squat cleans
3 thrusters
30 double unders
*barbell work must be unbroken unless you want to take a 3 burpee penalty
I wasn't exactly sure of what my 4 rep max was for jerks.. I knew I had done 175# for 3 before, and it remember that being pretty tough.. So I figured I would shoot for that! I warmed up to 165 and then got ready for the workout. I did my 4 reps at 175 and it actually felt pretty easy! Then I went for the workout.. No plan, just figured I'd go fast and.. That's all I got! That worked for about 3 or 4 minutes.. Some day I'll learn.. After finishing that up, I went home and got to thinking about how the workout was done..and I knew I could do better.. I would have to do it again.. Problem was that I had a competition all weekend and the workout is due by Sunday evening.. And I most likely wouldn't feel as fresh then as I still did Friday.. You see where this is going, yes? So I went in that afternoon, armed with a plan.. In my early rounds on my first attempt, I was trying to stick to a round per minute plan, then when that fell apart, I wasn't in control..rest was too long.. Double unders were kind of a mess.. So this time I planned to shoot for somewhere around 1:10-1:15 per round.. Especially in the early sets, so that I didn't lose control of the workout and have to go into survival mode.. I also felt that I had a little more in me for the jerks, since 175 had felt so do-able.. Not much, but some.. So I shot for 180 on those, and I got them! It felt heavy and not pretty, but after watching it in the video (I have to record the stuff and send it in as proof), I kind of wish I had tried for more.. Especially after the scores came out and I see I could have jumped about 10 places if I had done 185#.. But.. That's part of all of this.. You never know what everyone else will do. I didn't want to overshoot and start failing my jerks in warm ups and then not get the 180.. I felt like 180# for 4 unbroken jerks is pretty solid, so regardless of the ranking, I'm actually pretty proud of that! Then the workout.. I stuck to my plan.. 1:10 per round felt like plenty of rest at first and I was able to hold that.. I think all the way through? It started to feel hard in my last round or 2, and I thought about backing off, but told myself that it was supposed to feel hard and just to keep pushing and finish it up. I finished with just under 8 rounds.. My first attempt was only 1 clean into that 8th round, so I improved by 36 reps and felt pretty good about it! Again.. Scores came out and I started thinking 'why didn't you go for 1:05 or 1:08 per round', or something like that.. But I know how it had felt and I know I gave it my all.. So, again.. I'm pleased with that second attempt! Sunday night I got to see the rankings.. I'm currently in 29th place, out of around 300, I think.. Only the top 20 will get an invite for the elite division, so I have to work hard these next couple of weeks, if I want to make it! But I know it can be done.. Just stay consistent and push hard. I think with having more time to do it this weekend, I can test things more and practice, etc.. Hopefully work my way up!
I also competed on a team in the Naptown Bracket Buster here in town this weekend.. It was fun.. A well run comp with good programming, good athletes, and from what I saw, fairly consistent judging, so it was good! We had our ups and downs.. Things we excelled in and had a lot of fun with.. We literally ran away with the relay run.. We had 2 pairs that ran about 1 1/2 miles each and we were about a minute ahead of second place.. That was fun.. Then there was a 'strategy heavy' workout with barbells, holds and burpees.. We communicated well and executed..dare I say perfectly?.. So that one was fun.. We had a few falters where 1 or more maybe struggled a bit with a weight or a movement, which set us back a touch on the workout, but overall, there were a lot of varied challenges thrown at us and we were amongst the top in all of them, so I'm proud of our team! Personally, I enjoyed the comp quite a bit. I liked all of the challenges thrown our way and didn't find myself really tripped up at any certain time, so I guess we are doing something right? The only judging glitch that we experienced was being given a bunch of no-reps at the end of a workout that was a tight race, and meant the difference between 3rd and fourth overall.. The first no-rep was a right call..but then it seemed like they were more focused on reassuring themselves on that call (which, I know, is a tough one to make, especially in that environment!) and not on counting the 3 or 4 reps she correctly made during that time.. So they wound up taking about 4 or 5 squats from her, instead of just the 1.. And then we lost the race.. Oh, well.. We certainly had some other mistakes that cost us in that workout, so I guess it all adds up in the end.. Like I said, though, I was proud of our team and the work we put together in a tough competition, so it was a good weekend. I would definitely do that competition again!.. Coming back to seek revenge next year!
So given my inability to recover over the previous 2 weeks.. And the fact that I did that qualifier 2 times before the weekend long competition!.. I told myself that if I felt super tired and sore when I tried to wake up for the gym Monday morning, I would take a rest day.. Well, I woke up super tired and sore, so went back to bed and rested up.. I tell you what, it worked! I felt great today and definitely had a better workout today than I would have had yesterday, so maybe I'm learning..
So today was my 'day 1' for this week and it was:
Snatch with a 2-3 second pause above the knee: sets of 3 @ 95/105/110/120#. These went ok until I started rushing things at 120#.. Some went ok, but I think I lost my focus a bit, or something.. Decided to move along..
Squats: sets of 4 at 200/210#.. Ouch!
Weighted front rack step ups (20" box): 3 sets of 8/leg w 85#
GHDs with a 14# med ball: 3 sets of 20.. Sweatin hard by this point!
EMOTM x4 min 1 snatch @ 120#, then every :30s x 3 min 1 snatch @ 110#, then every :15s x 2 min 1 snatch @ 110#
Workout:
15 ring MU ( did 5/3/3/2/2 and it took 3 min)
20 HSPU (12/8)
25 cal row
30 pistols
25 cal row
20 HSPU (15/5)
15 bar MU (9/6)
Overall, it took me 11:50 to finish. Not too bad.. Calorie row always takes me a bit.. And pistols felt hard because my legs were feeling the squats and step ups..and all the snatches, too, probably.. But I felt like I moved as quickly as I could, so I will take it. Pretty good start to the week! We have some heavy hang snatches up for tomorrow, so I better be ready for that! Should be fun..

No comments:

Post a Comment