GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Less than 1 week?!!

Wow. It's here. The count down to my very 1st full ironman distance triathlon. I'm more than ready & I know that.. I'm confident in my training & my ability to do what I need to do at the race & I'm in a good place! Just resting up, trying to eat well, drink well & relax 'til race time. Last weeks taper workouts went fine. I'm feeling really good..able to 'go' when the workout calls for it, but I'm also doing a good job (I think) of not going quite so much..which is a tough thing to do after rushing around, training for so long.. I started training for this season & this race back in January.. So, needless to say.. I'm more than ready for this race! This wk is almost crazy how little exercise I'm doing.. today was only a 30 minute 'race pace' (AKA slow) run.. Considering that a 'typical' tuesday through training had been: early run..somewhere around 5-9mi, hang w/ Matt & Mason before they head out, head to the pool for a swim, maybe some yoga or kettle bell, home for lunch & rest, then out to teach gymnastics..and finally, another swim with the Y tri team. SO. I'm feeling just a little strange to be sitting around right now.. BUT I do know that my sitting now will help me feel better as I attempt to move for 140.6mi this sunday. This past weekend I was able to get out to meet up with my fellow 'Personal Best' team members that will be at Rev 3 with me. We met out at Eagle Creek park to ride 40 miles, then run 6. I felt great the whole way & all was well.. BUT, it turns out that Indiana decided to have a quick little heat wave for us.. 1 last summer hurrah, I guess.. I 'knew' it was hot out, but it didn't feel that bad.. until the workout was over. You see, I plan very well for the workout.. what I'm still not always great at is planning for hanging around after.. So as I stood there after the workout in the clothes I'd changed in to..still dripping sweat & sipping on some water & the 'muscle milk' I'd brought for the drive home.. I started to feel a bit out of it & nauseous. I had been standing there in the sun, sweating & talking, when I should have sat down in the shade to cool down. Anyway.. as soon as I sat down in my car, out of the sun & in the AC..I felt fine. Everyone was all concerned about what was going on w/ me & 'what happened'..when I looked at the temp gauge in my car..it was 97 degrees?! Uuuummmm...mystery solved, folks.. It was hotter than I thought it was going to be & I didn't realize it until I was standing there, feeling dizzy & weird.. So I guess the lesson to be learned there is to definitely think about recovery & how you might be out & hot & about longer than you intend..so pack more food & drinks than you'll actually need. AND check the temperature before you plan & pack for your workout..sometimes the weather changes quick & you need to know about it. But life goes on. Like I said, I felt fine as soon as I cooled down & all was well. Sunday was a relatively short & quick 10mi run, which went fine.. I wound up having to do most of it on the treadmill due to another lightning storm, but it was fine.. I kept pace & felt good & was all done by 7:30am! Which left time to go to breakfast with the family..then a movie with my sister-in-law..so taper is a good thing! Monday, which was a holiday, I was able to go out for 1 last training open water swim with the group.. I actually wore my wetsuit for the whole 1hr swim..which I haven't worn a wetsuit for that long since Steelhead last yr.. It was fine.. I'm still not a huge wetsuit fan, but this one feels better.. still rubs my neck, so we'll have to do our best to lube that up so it won't hurt too much.. I'm sure it'll be fine, though! Now just a couple short, 'keep the body moving'-type workouts this wk & then off to Cedar Point on friday! I'm excited.. I can't believe it's finally here.. I feel good, now I just have to do my thing at the race.. worry only about the things that I can control.. & to HAVE FUN!! because that IS what this is all about..

No comments:

Post a Comment