GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Friday, October 21, 2011

I've gone & done it now..

So things are pretty much the same.. still lots of classes & a good mix of fun, while still keeping up with swim/bike/run, of coarse.. though w/ all the cold & rain this week, the bike has taken a bit of a back seat.. Oh, well! I'll make up for it next wk, I hope! Last week/weekend, we took a trip to Baltimore for a visit with Matt's family & also to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary.. AND Matt's 35th birthday.. so it was a great visit! I got in all my classes & swimming, etc done early in the week & just planned to run a bit while I was in town.. I got a slightly rainy run in on friday morning.. which was a little bit of a benchmark, of sorts, b/c the last time I had done this particular run, I had considered it my 'long' run.. this time it was just an "I'll be right back" run, so I guess it shows how far I've come as far as running & my perception of what a 'long' workout is.. kinda cool, I guess. I also got to hit the trails a bit with some friends.. my friend, Kim, who is a fellow triathlete, & her husband, Ben, who is a marathon runner extraordinair.. I think he might be crazier than I am.. at least with the running.. he actually thought about doing 3 full marathons this month, but then reconsidered & just ran the half in Baltimore, but will still do the other 2 full marathons. I really wish I was this kind of runner.. not sure if I'll ever get there, though, with all the other sports/cross trainings that I do.. But I do envy those that can whip out marathons like it ain't no thing.. I guess I'm kind of like that w/ half-IM's, though.. so it all depends on what you focus on, I suppose.. but anyway. So I met up w/ them for a trail run & it was great! Nice, easy recovery run for Ben & a good chance for us to catch up. As a bonus, they came back to my in-laws house after the run to meet Mason.. we walked in on him perfoming 'Colder Weather' (Zac Brown) on the microphone!! Nice.. guess that's my boy! Very cute & very funny.. So anyway, that was that week! This week.. very rainy & cold.. only did 1 run so far this week (a treadmill interval run of sorts.. about 5mi).. BUT I have quite the run-filled-fun planned for myself this weekend! I was supposed to give a Nutrition talk for the TNT run team, which I LOVE doing.. but of all things.. I lost my voice this week?!! I feel fine.. it's just a cold.. but I can't give a presentation like this.. I did take a whole day off of working out yesterday to try to heal up a bit, but I'm back at it today & feeling good (just still no voice.. UGH!).. BUT.. w/ my sat am now opened up, I get to do a half marathon trail run instead! I'm actually excited about it.. I've signed myself up for a few trail runs and am excited to spend the next couple months hitting the trails a bit, which I find to be a 'fun' way to run.. & since I'm still kind of in 'Ironman' mode, as far as I'm so used to going for hrs and hrs.. I signed up for my 1st trail marathon!!?? Yikes! The way I see it.. I have the endurance to go 26+ miles.. but I just didn't feel like I had it in me to hit speedwork really hard & work on going for time in a road marathon. So the trail marathon, where I'll be focused on not falling & not so much on my pace or splits.. it seems like a good fit! I guess we'll find out.. So then after the trail half on saturday, I'm doing a 2 person marathon relay on sunday morning...dressed as Veruca Salt with my Violet teammate, Ashley! Should be fun.. We have some other friends meeting us there & they'll be dressed as Oompa Loompas..definitely should be another fun way to get the miles in! It's done as alternating 2.2mi loops.. so we'll do a full marathon, each doing 1/2 the distance.. anyway, so should be a good weekend! I also wanted to add that I'm back at the Masters Swimming, which is, hands down, the best way to work on your swim.. or is it??.. I got the greatest compliment EVER today & it totally made my day.. Now, I have friends that tell me I have a great freestyle stroke, which is super nice.. but I always think "they're my friends.. they're just being nice.. " But today, the coach on deck said that a swimmer (who is a life-long regular Masters attending swimmer) from the next lane over recognized me & said my free looked much improved from the last time he saw me, which was in the spring before I swam outside at the Y all summer.. "WHA??!!".. huge compliment for me.. as an 'adult learning triathlete swimmer'.. to get a compliment from a 'real' swimmer that doesn't even know me? I feel pretty good about that.. So sounds like all my hours in the pool this summer have paid off. I guess I do take pride when people compliment my swim b/c I do work really hard at it.. It's not something that comes easy for me.. Like when people say "you're a good cyclist".. it's nice, but if I'm honest, I don't work super hard at it.. I just get on my bike and go.. I think my strength helps me w/ that, but it's not like I work on the technique for it.. But with swimming, I've worked my tail off.. taking tips from the Masters coaches and other swimmers I come across & just spending more time in the water. So anyway, that was certainly a high point of the day (and not even 7am!). Then I got to let loose & have fun at zumba.. and THEN.. I had my 1st day of Crossfit!! Very excited about that one.. They ran me through the technique of the moves & then showed me how their workouts go.. gave me the moves to go through in the circuit.. I guess the point is to go as fast as you can.. I think my 'circuit' took me about 6:30 minutes?? he said he'd make it harder next time.. bring it on!! I can definitely see that this kind of workout is right up my alley.. can't wait for the next one! So.. now to rest a bit (& hope my voice comes back some time soon) & get ready for some running this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment