GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, October 3, 2011

Return of the 5am workouts!

I made it 3 whole weeks with no super early workouts.. sleeping in aaalll the way to 6:30-ish most mornings, which is quite the break from my usual 4:20-ish wake-up.. It was a nice change of pace, but let's face it.. I'm a morning workout gal.. As much as I tried, evening workouts just don't really suit me. SO. Back to the early am's I go.. Last week's wrap up.. Let's see... For running, I did about 5mi on monday night (not my best run, as it was an evening run..) with some 1 mi repeats, keeping them just under 8 min miles, which I was doing in effort to get ready for the 5mi 'race' (it really was a fun run, so no need to 'train' for it.. I mostly just wanted to know what I was even capable of so I'd know what to shoot for/expect) I did on saturday.. evening! You see.. everyone was trying to make me an afternoon run/workout gal.. It's just not my fave. Back to my week of trying to get back in the swing of running.. So thurs was my next run & I did a track workout on the treadmill, so got about another 5mi in doing 400's & 200's.. again at an 8min/mi pace..steady.. not super fast.. Then sat was the fun run & I did just as I'd trained for.. 8min/mi avg on the dot! So I was pretty pleased w/ that.. AND it was a 'fun run', indeed. It was at a local winery, so got to enjoy some wine, live music & just hanging out on a nice fall afternoon.. Good stuff! But I wanted to run again on sunday.. after much 'back & forth' w/ my workout plan for the day, I wound up meeting a friend for an 8mi run around a park, which was pretty good.. but signified the end of my time as an afternoon run gal.. the tummy just doesn't do super well w/ it & I don't like how it cuts in to the whole day like that.. We still had an OK run & it was a nice time.. fantastic day for it.. And we still had some nice, quality sunday family fun.. a brunch with friends (probably didn't help my tummy during that pm run), hit the apple orchard after the run, then went to dinner.. So all in all, a good week in running (about 23 mi this week, I guess? Not bad for not really training for anything right now..) and family fun. As for the other stuff for the week.. I did 2 strength/endurance classes (mon & wed), which are great classess.. good mix of plyo's & strength.. I did 2 zumba classes (tues & fri), which I LOVE.. so much fun.. I did a turbo kick class on thurs, the TRX class on tues.. I guess that's about it! Oh.. and I rode my bike trainer on wed & fri.. OH.. and I swam on tues & thurs.. and sat (just a little).. & then even did an aquarobics class on sat!! SO..if that's not 'well rounded' enough for ya.. I'm not sure what is.. I guess I didn't get any yoga in, which I would have liked to do.. But it was a good week! So with my return to the 5am world, I started by playing around w/ IM in the pool.. I'm working on my fly, which is a goal I have for this fall/winter.. to learn that darn stroke & actually feel like I'm moving while doing it! I've at least gotten over my fear of just doing it ('fear' might be the wrong word.. more like.. I didn't want to look like a fool), so now I'll just keep workin at it 'til it feels right! Or 'til I run out of time & need to get back to more normal/freestyle workouts.. But for now, I continue my play time. I hope to be able to get outside on the bike this week.. last week was a mix of cold, rain, wind & just 'life' happening & getting in the way of a ride (! just kidding.. life doesn't 'get in the way'...it's LIFE!..but you know what I mean..), so we'll see how this week goes. I have a 15k trail race on sat am.. that should be interesting! I haven't been on trails since last late winter/early spring, so this should be good! But..you know.. how hard can it be.. It's just running w/ a little more interesting obstacles to it, right? Will keep ya posted on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment