GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nature!!

Ah, Nature.. (said in the tone of Will Farrell doing his Goulet impression, of coarse..) So this was a good week.. another good week, I should say. Started with my usual mix of gym fun.. Monday was an early swim w/ my now usual off season mix-bag of stroke/pull/kick/free.. good times! Then I went to a slightly lack-luster 'interval training' class.. Since I'm doing classes right now, I thought I'd try a bunch of different classes/teachers/times to see what fits best.. Well, the earlier strength class wasn't a great fit for me. the workout wasn't too bad.. I just didn't feel super excited about it.. So it's back to 'strength & endurance' on mondays & wednesdays.. at least until Mason is done w/ his gymnastics classes & then maybe I can switch back & forth w/ the am & pm classes.. both same basic class, but w/ different teachers & different approaches.. Anyway, where was I.. So that was monday. Tuesday was a good one.. I ran my mile repeats.. got 3x1 mi in this time at about 7:47 pace w/ about a mi warm-up & warm-down..felt good! Then I hit the gym for my TRX class.. (good core/strength class), & then I went out to the Natatorium downtown to meet w/ my friend, Mark, who is a life-long swimmer & offered to help me get the basics down on that butterfly that I'm determined to learn! So we worked on that a bit.. shorter workout, but it still left me pretty winded w/ the fly work & apoxic free 25's (really hard for me! I had to breathe 2x/lap when Mark was going no breath).. Fun! Then off to teach gymnastics later that evening & I stuck around for some zumba..just for kicks! Pretty tired after that day.. perhaps a bit more than I needed, but it was fun.. & spread out.. & I ate & had rest.. so it's all good. Wed was strength & endurance (the good one.. left my legs pretty shaky!) in the am, then a bike ride w/ Lara that afternoon.. did about 30mi, I think.. good ride! Thurs was a 'hill run'... on my treadmill.. I know.. kinda lame, but I didn't feel like heading out to run a hill in the dark by myself.. So I did that early in the am, then did turbo kick later that morning.. I think that was it for thurs! Other than teaching gymnastics, but that isn't a 'workout'. Friday was another good one.. I did a spin class in the morning. 1st spin in a long time! Man.. as much as I ride, it's still a good workout! Dripping sweat, for sure. Then I hit the pool.. more 'mix bag', but probably mostly free/pull, since I had to share a lane & fly isn't really conducive for friendly sharing. THEN.. because I love it so much, I hit zumba class, too, that morning! It was lots of fun.. after that it was time for a rest. Again, probably a bit more than I needed for the day, but I made sure to hydrate & fuel between things. I'm thinking I'll slow down with everything at some point this fall/winter, but right now, I'm just figuring out how things will fit in to my schedule & what will 'make the cut' for regular workouts & what I can skip.. anyway, then the REAL fun begins with the weekend! I actually had a relatively light weekend, as far as quantity goes, but it was definitely quality, as I sure am SORE from it!! I ran a trail 15k (closer to 10mi, but who's counting!) on sat am & had a BLAST! It was so fun! It had been too long since I'd run trails & I'm definitely looking forward to more trail running (& biking..more on that in a moment) this fall and winter. It was run as 3 loops & each one had a pretty flat side & then a tougher side with more hills/climbs.. it was hard, but so fun! 10mi really did fly by (not that I was going that fast.. you just don't notice the distance so much when you're busy watching where your next step will be.. & yes.. I fell.. I always fall at least once on a trail run! It wasn't bad, though..popped right back up & was laughing & back on my way in no time). I ran w/ my buddy, Jeff, & we finished right around 1:27.. not bad..for us.. but not fast. My triathlon pals, Joe, Shawn & Dru were also there for the fun! So that was it for saturday. Down side of the super, great fun I had at the run was that I had to miss Mason's soccer game. Boo. Every other game this session had been at 11am, so when I signed up to run, I assumed it would be the same.. I'd do the run, scoot out & make it to his game.. But this wk his game was at 9:30, so I was out of luck.. Sounds like I missed a good one, though (sarcasm, in case you can't 'hear' it through the screen).. Matt said that 1 kid on the other team had the ball pretty much the whole game.. said he scored probably 20 goals.. I mean, good for him (?) I guess.. but couldn't someone had encouraged passing?? sharing?? sportsmanship?? Those are all good lessons to teach, too.. just a thought.. But as usual, the kids have no idea that they're being unceremoniously beaten like that & just keep on a-running around.. So it's all good, I guess. THEN, sat evening was date night for Matt & I!!..and guess what he/we decided to do for our date?? well, shop for a new mt bike for me, of coarse! Isn't my hubby just the best (the answer you're looking for is yes... yes he is). I had been talking about wanting a mt bike so I could try trail riding for...a bit now, & we decided that could be my anniversary/birthday/christmas gift this year.. Patience not being a stong suit of mine PLUS I didn't want to miss out on fall trail riding.. So we went..and shopped.. and bought me a new bike! So cool.. To balance our date night out, Matt got to pick where we went to eat & he overloaded us into a beefy coma at Famous Dave's.. so we both win! So then sunday I couldn't wait to try it out..lucky for me, my friends Joe & Sam were planning to ride a trail out at Ft Ben.. so I got to ride! Wow... I'm in love.. it's so fun! yes, I fell.. yes, I was terrified for at least most of the 1st loop & probably a good portion of the 2nd loop.. yes, I 'hugged' the same tree on both times around the trail.. But WOW! It's so fun! You have to think the whole time, so talk about getting a chance to get away from all other thoughts & just 'be' in the moment! & with beautiful fall all around us? fantastic. Again.. I'm so excited to do more trail stuff this fall & winter. I still love my road stuff, but it sure is a nice change of pace to try something new.. So I think that covers this week of fun! I had an extra bonus on friday evening when we had some friends over for some dinner, treats & chatting. I believe the purpose was to discuss the costume situation for the relay we're doing in a couple weeks, but mostly we were just hanging out & eating... so that was fun. So, again.. I'd say it was a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment