GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Think I'm Thirsty??

This is just fresh on my mind b/c I just got in from my chilly run & I grabbed a water, chocolate milk (double chocolate? oh, yes, I did!), AND a 'life' water and have already downed most of them. It's just harder to carry water when it's this cold out.. Today was the 1st 'real' cold run that I've been on this winter (it's officially winter, right?? pretty sure we had the solstice.. sure feels like winter!). It's been pretty darn mild out & it's actually supposed to warm all the way up to 50 by the weekend, but as of now.. it was 20 degrees out, but with the 'wind chill' factor, it registered maybe 7 or 9 degrees? That's pretty brisk. This was the 1st time I really had to layer up.. though I may have over-layered a bit.. but there were still some spots where it got chilly.. Anyway.. this just in.. it's winter & it's cold out.. Great observations, aye? Well, my plan for today was to do this rolling hill repeat.. it's a little over a mile away, then it's a mile 1 way to run up and down the hills, then turn around... and.. repeat.. All said, I did just under 7miles today & I felt pretty good! Coupled with yesterday's 'hill challenge' on my treadmill.. which consisted of setting the 'mill about 3min slower than my 'fastest mile'.. sadly, my 'fastest mile' right now is probably a touch over 7min.. so I set 'er at 5.7mph and the incline at 5% and the goal was to go as long as I could.. I made it a mile w/ some warm up and cool down.. Of coarse, this was after an 'at home WOD' full of burpees, squats, box jumps and mt climbers.. AND.. of coarse, I had also spun (spinned? rode? whatever.. I rode my trainer) for about 40min doing leg isolation drills, so my ability to run uphill at this point was iffy at best. Later that night, I decided I really need to start working on this whole night running thing.. seeing as I'm going to be running a marathon at night in just a few weeks.. So I went out for a brisk 3.5mi run that night.. with my headlamp.. in the ice.. shockingly, did NOT run in to anyone else out there?! wonder where everyone was.. But I'm feeling good about how this week has started out. My back still has it's moments. I'm trying really hard to keep the swelling/inflammation under control as that, understandably, helps with the pain. After my failed swim workout (it started fine.. did I already blog about this?.. anyway, after a set that pushed my speed a bit, my back hurt so bad to breathe that I actually had to cut the workout short.. probably the 1st time I'd done that in a LONG time) on sat, I was able to make it through the 'super tuesday' workout today, which was 5 sets of 1 x 300, then 6 x 50.. good times! But I felt pretty good.. Then I made it through the crossfit workout of the day.. hurt a little bit on the overhead squats, but overall, it went well.. So, though the workouts have gone well, I'm pretty sure this calls for some ice! I hope things continue to go well with all these workouts. No soccer tonight, but I'm lined up for some fun speedwork w/ friends tomorrow morning! And as the week goes on, as I mentioned, it's supposed to warm up a bit.. so may be a while before I have another brisk one like today.. I think I'm OK w/ that! I'm sure there's plenty more layer days ahead..

No comments:

Post a Comment