GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Whah, whaaaahhh

My big run streak ended rather unceremoniously last night.. It's ok, though. It was a good streak of good running and I do think it's helped my run quite a bit (you know what's not going to help my run? Gaining 15-20# all in my belly..hint, hint..), so all is not lost. I bailed on my run last night (I had planned on a late evening treadmill run, since my quest to become an evening runner is coming to a close tonight!) for several reasons.. 1 being that I do need to rest up a bit to be able to take on the night marathon with 'fresh' legs, so my workouts friday morning (swim and crossfit) will be the last before saturday night.. I also have been extremely exhausted (see above hint as to why that might be) lately. I've been stretched a little thin with all the extra gymnastics teaching and the start of my TNT Tri Coaching duties, so a little extra rest is much needed. And 3.. it just seemed like 'doing an extra run just to do an extra run'.. it was just a treadmill run and it's not going to make or break my night run experience.. so again, a little extra rest seemed to make much more sense. So that's that. I made it almost all the way through January with running every day.. even if it was just a short run on some days.. I think the experiment went well, but given that I'll be scaling back on everything for a bit, I think I'll make my run goals something more along the lines of 3-4 runs a week with an average of maybe 20 miles per wk? That might be cut to more like 15.. we'll see.. So for this week, I'm sitting at 12 running miles thus far, so if all goes well at the run tonight, I should come to about 38 miles for the week (yes, that means I DO plan to have my 1st rest day in a LONG time on sunday), so that would be about..let's see.. carry the one.. 165-ish miles of running for the month of January? Not bad.. not bad.. Nothing extreme there, but a solid start to the year. There's been a... I'll call it a 'rash'.. I'll go there.. A rash of youtube video's coming out centered around 'sh*t runners/cyclists/triathletes say' (I don't think they've hit swimmers yet?) and I'm trying hard to avoid sounding too much like the cliche, but sometimes.. you just gotta admit that you're just as big a dork as everyone else.. But anyway, I was going to say that I'm thinking the next few months will be much more swim and bike centered than running, though I fully intend to continue to include short runs on most days.. muscle memory, folks!.. for as long as I can. But we'll see.. This month has almost been a 'crossfit and run' centered training month because I was thinking about doing a competition with the crossfit crew, but that's out for this year. I still plan to keep up my crossfitting, but on a much lower intensity level, so not always going for that lowest time or the highest wt I can push. I think it'll be hard to cut back at first (as I found out yesterday.. it was a 'Fran' workout, which was my 1st time doing it & I had been informed that it was 'kind of a big deal' in the crossfit world to know 'what's your Fran time'.. maybe they should make a 'sh*t crossfitters say'.. Anyway, I tried not to go too hard, but still found myself a little more winded than I think I maybe should have allowed), but as things progress, it'll make more sense. I just want to stay healthy, strong and fit.. for myself, for my sanity, and for the health of my wee one. There's a paltry amount of good research on exercise during pregnancy and what is out there basically says that everyone is different, which makes sense, so it's impossible to give a blanket guideline of how everyone should do it. So yes, I plan to run a marathon tonight.. will I go all out? push my heart rate to an uncomfortable place? careen over trees, rocks and people to set a coarse PR? No. But do I know that I can listen to my body and continue on as I have been these past few months, enjoy the experience and have some fun? Exactly. So. Rest is in order for today.. then on to some fun night time running tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment