GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Friday, May 18, 2012

Injury week #1

Anyone else think its ridiculous to be injured while pregnant? Me, too.. But this is where I find myself.. I think I've done a good job of taking care of myself this week. Monday continued on my extreme lazy days. As much as I wanted to get out and MOVE, already! I could tell my back wasn't quite ready, so I called in to my TNT coaches to tell them I was out for any coaching this week, and I hunkered down for another day full of icing and rest. Tuesday am I was feeling like my walking was normal and my back felt good enough to try out a short, easy swim..so I went out to the Y and did just that. It went fine, but believe me when I say..this is SHORT and EASY stuff happening here. I mostly pulled, because that helps me keep good form with my back. Felt good to move again, then I was able to spend most of the rest of the day resting and icing some more, as I was also able to secure some subs for gymnastics classes this week to allow me to take a break from setting up the mats, spotting kids, and all of that stuff that goes along with teaching kids gymnastics. By Wednesday, I really wanted to do more, but again, I settled for an easy swim. In an unexpected side note to the day.. I was involved in a little accident on Wednesday morning, which was quite interesting. It actually should have been boring.. Nothing exciting about being rear ended at a stop light..except when they bugger off without stopping to do what we all know we should do..which is check the damage and exchange insurance info.. But I guess this gal didn't get that memo..and she buggered off. So I had to get her license plate info and call the police.. It really, really didn't have to be this big of a deal, but I knew there was damage done and I also knew it wasn't at all my fault. After checking things out, my bike rack was completely mangled, so much so that it was bent up far enough to push in to the back hatch of my car, causing some denting there, which will need to be fixed. So..what happened to the girl? Well, this is the unfortunate part, but she was actually in high school, so they found her car and called her to the office, took her out to her car to question her, etc..and then..she was arrested and..taken to jail.. I'm not happy about that, though I know it's what had to be done. But I'm human and I feel bad for her.. Oh, man, would I have been in so much trouble! So anyway..that was my Wednesday morning. Not much else went on that day, except I did ride a super easy 30 minute spin on my trainer, just to see how it would feel.. Not bad, but I think the tummy might be the bigger issue..really starting to get crowded up there and cramps up more.. Darn it all, but there may not be much riding left in this pregnancy. Thursday was another short trainer spin..easy gears and not pushing effort at all, just getting the body moving, blood flowing.. Then my 1st return to crossfit..hugely scaled crossfit.. Sticking to my 'no wt lifting' mandate, so it started with single leg step-ups, wall-balls, until I realized that a medicine ball is 'weight', so then I switched to just body wt squats, and burpees..which turned in to pike push-ups when those started to make me a little sore.. So not my best workout, but again.. I missed crossfit and it felt good to work those muscles a bit. Now it's Friday..another easy swim and a scaled crossfit workout. I actually did a completely different workout because the planned workout was all weight lifting, so I did rowing, pike push-ups, lunges, box dips, and straight leg kettle-bell dead lifts.. That last one might have broken my 'no wt' rule, but I used my new, fancy 'maternity belt' and made sure to keep good form..and so far so good on how my back is feeling. Actually, I'm feeling pretty good right now, because I had a really great, therapeutic massage today, at the suggestion of my neighbor, who has had a masseuse come to her house regularly for years to help with her chronic pain issues.. I gotta tell ya..it was pretty great. Not one of those 'listen to the music and let me rub your temples' kind of massages.. But more a 'I wanna make you cry' (I didn't, though not because he didn't do a great job.. I explained I'm more of a 'silent sufferer' vs the 'yell and scream' kind of folks) so tell me where it hurts and I'll work there til it's all better kind of thing. I won't say I'm Scott free here, but it definitely helped.. So there's hope for me yet! I plan to keep up this easy swim/easy spin stuff for at least another week..and we'll assess again from there. This weekend we're looking at some soccer for Mason..and I think that's about it. Sunday is TNT's practice race for our Elkhart folks, so that should be fun. I've enlisted Matt and Mason to come help with a water station for the run and Mason is PUMPED. He's already worked out some dialogue, which is something he likes to do these days..plan out what someone will say to him and how he will respond, etc..good to have a plan! Not that there's any chance the runners will stop and indulge him in this planned conversation of his..but I still think he's going to have a great time with it..and that's about all that's happening around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment