GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, May 14, 2012

Walk before you run

Isn't it great when the most obvious, the most "I don't even want to say this because it's so obvious it'll just sound stupid" piece of advice is actually a big lightbulb moment for you? Last year when I had my knee scope deal and I kept asking my doc post-op about what activity can I do..surely I can swim..it's been 2 days? How about a 70mi bike ride..no? You see, I was still hobbling quite a bit with simple walking, despite my best efforts because I do not like to limp.. So my doc simply said what should have been obvious, but was ground breaking news to me "you should be able to walk normally before you worry about any exercise". Whoa. Why didn't I think of that? Pure genius. So that's the advice I'm trying to follow right now, which has left me with 2 of the most lazy days I can remember..but.. I'm starting to be able to walk and move much more normally now.. So I guess it's working. Good stuff! I just have to keep resisting all my urges to jump the gun and say all is well and dive right back in to things. I do think I'll be set to try an easy swim tomorrow.. So we'll start there and hope for the best! Just thought I'd pass along that wise piece of advice, because if it was earth shattering to me..chances are, my fellow athletes might find it to be just as insightful and helpful.. But if you are one step ahead of me and already knew that..well..good for you.. Either way, here's to being smart and getting healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment