GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, December 5, 2011

Aftershocks from the trail

So I just wanted to report that after a 2nd, much more successful ice bath, my legs are feeling pretty good post trail marathon. My knees, which were my biggest concern right after the race because they hurt so bad.. actually feel fine now.. so that's good news! I was able to get out for a 'recovery' swim yesterday, which I just did the ol' 4, 3, 2, 1 workout where I alternate swim, pull, kick, IM distances.. anyway.. I was feeling really good, but started to feel drained by about the 2k mark.. Probably because my appetite was pretty poor after the run (go figure), so I doubt I was well fueled going in. But even so, it felt good to move.. AND it's always a bonus to get to play in the pool with Mason & Matt, so we'll call it a success! Just an FYI, a PSA, if you will, on how to do an ice bath when it's cold outside.. so 1st you need to be warm.. try some hot chocolate, snuggling under warm blankets, etc.. then.. 1st fill the bath with just cold water & get in to that to acclimate a bit before you add the ice.. (just a note, the water is definitely colder than it was this summer. I couldn't get the water that cold no matter what I tried before.. now it's super cold.. but I guess in an ice bath, that's a good thing). So slowly cooling down the water/getting used to it made for a much better ice bath.. good to know, right?! Oh, and I always do this, but just in case it doesn't go without saying, definitely wear a shirt & just roll it up so it doesn't get wet.. but I think that helps a lot with not getting too unbearably cold in there while you work the soreness out of your lower half. As of now, my only 'battle wounds' seem to be a slightly odd little blister on the middle toe of my right foot.. Other than that, my feet are fine! Darn me for insisting on continuing with the toe socks (I like 'em cause they're knee high compression socks, which I thought would be good for the warmth &, of coarse, for the healing powers of compression) even though I know they often give me odd toe blisters.. But this one really isn't that bad. I think it'll work itself out just fine. But aside from that, right now my 'picker uppers' (hip flexors) are the only things that really feel sore, which makes sense given all the extra 'picking up' they did on saturday! So all in all, I think things are back on track! I'll be able to get right back in the swing of things this week.. did a spin this morning.. heading to crossfit later.. tomorrow will be swim, run, soccer.. more crossfit.. So we should be good! Now if I could just get Mason & I healthy.. sheesh, cold that won't quit?! I think it's time for you to move along..

No comments:

Post a Comment