GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The elder folk love me..well..most of 'em

It's a fact; older ladies love to talk to pregnant ladies about their own pregnancies of long ago..even when I'm clearly in the middle of a workout and tuned out to my music.. I don't mind it, though. I'm typically not in a huge rush when I'm up in the gym at the Y, and the ladies are all very sweet. They seem to waver between concern for what I'm doing (squats..either on 1 leg or just regular air squats..not weighted.. Well, not any extra weight other than what I'm packin here in the belly!) and desire to share their own stories of how they exercised in their own pregnancy (uh..37 or more years ago! It is good to know, though, that ladies were active throughout pregnancy years ago, too, and not everyone thinks you need to lay down with your feet up for 40 weeks when you find out you have a perfectly healthy, low risk pregnancy). The other day while I was doing a slow Y 'Fran' workout (thrusters..which is a squat to a shoulder press.. I used 55#, so I guess some of my squats are weighted.. And pull-ups), I was stopped by two lovely ladies that wanted to chat..and chat about my workout and pregnancy. Another lady stopped me while I was on the stationary bike to compliment me on my balance?! I was very confused until she clarified that she had seen me doing pistols (1 legged squats) earlier and that was what she was referencing..not the stationary bike.. Made more sense.. But ya know who isn't impressed with a pregnant lady working out? Dudes. Dudes probably about my age or a little older seem very disturbed by my workouts and I even heard one guy criticize my pull-ups as being "those crossfit pull-ups" in a negative tone, as though they weren't good enough or something.. Sheesh. Sorry, fella, if my form upsets you.. This is part of why I don't love working out at the gym..such a critical place..so 'judgey'. But I'll put up with it for a bit until I can get back to my regular triathlon, trail running, crossfitting style of exercise that I prefer. What else.. Not much going on. I had a great time body marking and cheering at the tri on Sunday and I'm hopeful that if the weather is good, I can make it down to Louiseville in a couple of weeks to cheer some friends on at the IM. I'm still having a rough time with the 'spit ups'..reflux, I guess, would be the term? UGh. SO sick of not being able to eat anything without feeling crappy afterwards. 1 more month, though, right? I can do it.. And then there will be a whole new slew of things to figure out! Man...can I really handle a new baby? I can't even figure out how not to make myself spit up?! Oh, boy.. We'll have to work through it together, little guy! Help a mama out..

No comments:

Post a Comment