GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, March 26, 2012

I swam in a Swim Meet??!!

So I guess the most 'out of the ordinary' thing I've done lately would have to be the swim meet I 'competed' in on sunday.. How's that for random! It was a free meet for Masters swimmers.. State Meet, to be exact.. and a friend of mine was interested in swimming in it and I was curious about the whole thing.. So I signed myself up for a few events and gave it the old college try! Indeed. I was mostly laughing at myself the whole time, but I had a good time. It was an experience.. I'm sure my starts were laughable, but I did stick with starting from the block.. had to at least look the part out there.. in my, apparantly un-meet worthy 'practice suit'.. so people buy special suits just for these meets? I've pondered this.. on and off.. for the past day.. it's really no more a silly concept than when I get all gussied up and head out in my tri suit for a triathlon, so I should be more understanding.. I guess because swimming isn't really my 'thing' and it's more a 'thing I try and try to get better at so that I can be more successful in the triathlon swim', I had a harder time taking the whole 'adult' competition seriously.. But honestly, what do I think I'm doing out there in tri's? Well... achieving my goals.. putting together my months of training.. having fun.. Same thing those swimming folks were out there doing last weekend.. So I think I get it now.. Still didn't make me take it any more seriously.. But, in fairness, I don't take myself all that seriously at tri's, either.. I'm always the one joking around until the gun goes off.. I'll smile and chat with folks along the way if it strikes my fancy.. some enjoy the banter.. others ignore me, so I move on.. It's all the same stuff. Some take it all WAY too seriously.. others, like me, are just happy to be out doing something they love, enjoying the day.. doing their thing! So that was that.. deep thoughts about what the heck I was doing at a swim meet.. I did OK, I suppose. I ranked myself pretty slow, so was in the 1st (slow) heat of most of my events.. only made the 2nd heat for my 50 free.. I think I came in respectably for all my events.. I did 100 breast in 1:38, which..after having it pointed out to me, is pretty close to my all out 100 free.. Which can only mean 1 thing.. My free is STILL SLOW!!! I have no idea what my 50 free was, but I felt like I gave it a good run. My 50 back was 44 seconds or something? Again.. hardly burning up the records, there, but it was 'good for me', so no complaints. I was surprised by how tired I was from just those short efforts. I hadn't been feeling very well (sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, baby.. Whatever you're doing in there.. what's that? growing? developing organs? ugh.. you make a good point, there, baby.. I suppose I can handle the nausea while you do that), so I'm sure that had something to do with it.. And I typically feel awful after any kind of 'speed' effort these days.. I wasn't completely exhausted or anything.. mostly hungry.. and nauseaus.. and hungry.. Either way, it meant I wasn't going to get my ride in, which we had planned for right after the meet. It was the right decision for me to bail.. the ride wouldn't have been pretty.. I think, though, if I just could have had lunch before, things would have been different.. But anyway, so just the meet on sunday.
Saturday was a pretty good workout for me.. got in a 3mi run before the TNT practice, which for that we did just over a mile warm-up, then a mile marker set (which I didn't get to 'mark' this time.. pretty sure it would have been pushing it to come in 1st this time, so I needed to take on 'coach' duties and do the timing and distance marking and such.. but I did get the mile in, if that matters at all.. probably not), another short bit cool-down, then a 30 minute lovely spin on the ol bike-a-roo.. then.. another short bit on the run! My total for the day was 6 running miles, which was what I 'needed' to get my 20 in for the week. Though I bailed on sunday's ride, I did ride 3 times last week, so not too much slacking there. Also did my swim's, though I think I already mentioned that those were quite.. yucky.. We'll go with that.. Just kind of a yucky swim week. Felt tired a lot. Any effort left me queasy.. I'll learn.. some day.
I do believe that I can announce that our little crossfit team made it to regionals! There still may be some late entries, but if the results stand.. we're in! they take top 30 teams from each region.. Too bad I can't join 'em to compete! Oh, well.. I got to have my fun in the 'open' part.. now it's time to let everyone else have their fun with all of it...and my turn to sit back with my growing belly and know that I did my best to do my part, all while being safe and honoring the little nugget growing inside of me.. So go JoCo! I hope to be able to go along to cheer and check out all the excitement, but we'll see. Not sure I'll be able to talk my guys in to that trip.
So far today.. only to monday of this week, but I got 6 running miles in today and a crossfit workout, which included a mile and a half of those miles.. I actually do count distance run in the crossfit workouts if it's long enough.. I'm not going to add a 200 or 400 in to my total, but when it's a mile or more, I count it.. Anyway, so 6 miles, a workout, then rest.. a lovely 20mi ride.. and that's my monday! I will add that I think I officially am liking this whole running with ipod thing.. at least for now. I got myself some quality 'yurbuds' that actually stay in my ear.. much more enjoyable then having to shove the ear thing in over and over.. and over again while you run.. switching hands with the water bottle.. oh, my. So it was much better today. But I also am officially clueless as to how to dress myself since I started using that 'what should I wear' tool on the runners world website.. So, 50 degrees, sunny and a lil windy? sounds like long sleeves, a vest, gloves, ear warmer.. that oughtta do it! little warm.. but I got the bottoms right, I think, with the knee length tights.. upper half of me was a tad hot, but I did alright, I guess. Anyway.. I think that's all I have to say about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment