GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, March 19, 2012

Reunited and it feels so good

So I have a lot to say today.. I'll try to keep it to the cliff's notes version, but our internet has been 'on the fritz' lately.. meaning it cuts in and out all the time.. meaning everytime I think "oh, I should blog about that".. internet is out.. Coincidence? Hmm.. perhaps the 'man' is trying to save the world wide interweb from my musings.. Well, here goes..
I guess we left off from last friday, so a quick note about the previous saturday's run workout.. it was a good one! Some shuttle runs, some hills, some 'choose your own adventure' fartleks.. good stuff! Then, as is the trend for me right now, the darn weather was TOO nice for me to take the day off, so I just HAD to run a couple the next morning.. I mean, when it's in the 70's and sunny.. who can rest at a time like this? Things will turn soon enough and I'll be banished to super early workouts or in the AC, so I'm soaking it all up while I can here.. clock is ticking, too, on this growing belly of mine. So that rounded out last week. I think I was a little over my 20 mile goal for running that week, but not by much. I continued last weeks trend of being super sore from the crossfit games workout on in to this week.. just because it's so fun to have to walk funny for days! This weeks little treasure of a workout included 150 wallballs, which I was surprised by how badly that knocked my legs out of commission for a few days.. then some 'double unders' (aka: jumping rope.. I've gotten a little better at it, but this particular day was not a great one for me.. but I got it done), then we were to do 'muscle ups', which I had abandoned trying after learning of being pregnant because it seemed like a bit of a silly undertaking to try to learn a skill that I KNOW I won't be able to work on for several months.. BUT, since it was in the workout, I gave it the old pregnant college try.. I got close! But no dice.. So after wobbling around on crazy sore legs for a few.. no swim or run seemed to loosen those puppies up! But the weekend rolled around and I was up for coaching another TNT workout.. our 1st ride! Weather looked awesome and I was psyched to get out on my bike again. I realized that I hadn't gotten to enjoy one of my favorite things for a while.. sunrise runs! there's nothing better than starting a run in the dark and watching things brighten up to a lovely day.. Ah.. So I planned to hit the park early to get a few miles in before our ride.. and that's just what I did! I was even able to run at a fairly decent pace, which felt nice.. I had the extreme pleasure of getting to squeeze in to my tri and bike clothes with a growing mid-section. OH, don't I feel good now!! Needless to say, I went out yesterday to buy some 'big girl' bike clothes.. mostly I wanted to get some with the wider, more comfortable waist bands.. not that elastic that isn't going to be my friend for a while.. Big success at the store, by the way.. Turns out Louis Garneau women's line knows just what I needed and had quite the selection.. for sale!! So even though it wasn't a long one on saturday.. just a 2 mile run and a 1hr ride (just under.. I got hungry! Gotta plan to eat for 2 while training for 2.. so much to think about this year), but it was a good start-up for some riding. Then sunday.. yes, my 'rest day'.. Again.. I'm powerless against a 70 degree, sunny day! So I got in another short, maybe 3 mile or so, sunrise run (it's all fun and games 'til you nearly bust an ankle trying to enjoy that sunrise!) and then met up with some friends for a 20 mile ride. Again.. felt great! Both the early run and the ride had me feeling like my usual self. Now, I've mentioned before that sometimes I'm a little slow to pick up on signs that most would find obvious much sooner.. but call me crazy.. After 2 good early am/sunrise runs when most of my mid-day/later pm runs feel like a death march.. perhaps it's time to switch back to the early run? Hmm?? I don't know.. Probably give it another week of trials.. Anyway. Good to know I still have a good time of the day for some decent running. Again, I think I was just a touch over my 20 mile goal for the week..
Let's see.. what else about last week.. Swimming was pretty good. Made 3 IAM swims and most felt pretty good. I got to try my dives off the block.. think I got the whole pool in my goggles, but other than that, it went well.. Still wavering on signing up for the meet.. I just worry about doing things 'right'.. as in for real swimming.. back stroke start?? Pretty sure that would look like a joke.. the dive.. Anyway. I think I'll do it and it'll be fun, but it makes me a little nervous to pull the trigger on that one. Crossfit was good.. most of the time.. Mondays seem to be my 'feel sick' days for those workouts. Not really sure why, but today was the start of deadlifts hurting my tummy some.. I only had 135# to pick up, but it still hurt some.. Then handstand pushups were WAY more difficult than they should have been. I even got a little sick after the workout, though it was from pushing myself in the workout.. just that this pregnancy is taking a little more of a toll on me this time around. I know I'm working out more than last time, but this is my 'normal'.. and the way I worked out last time around was my 'normal' for that time in my life.. So anyway, I guess I just have to keep listening to what my body wants me to do, though I think it's trying to tell me to back off more at crossfit and I'm not sure I'm ready to listen.. I will, I will.. just bums me out a bit. It was a good run of quality pregnancy workouts, but I think I have to start scaling it back a bit more.. But the rest of the week was fine.. nothing super notable that I can think of. Mason has gotten to spend lots of time with us outside.. getting ready for soccer again! Oh, my.. I just have to keep him from pushing the other kids. That's all I care about. My kid will NOT be the dirty player on the field!! No, sir. He can be the flower picker.. the hopelessly clueless.. as long as he's having fun.. but he will NOT play dirty. Where do they get that from, anyway. He's still pretty darn sure that he's having a sister and has even specified that she will be a quiet baby, like a girl at his daycare named Alaina.. not loud, like another little girl there.. She will be quiet. Good luck with that! But all in all, things are good here. Race season is gearing up, so I'll have to get used to the spectating/cheering/volunteering role for this season.. I know I could still do some shorter races, but I think I'll refrain and just stick to my slow workouts.. Speaking of.. One more thing I wanted to mention.. I've started running with music again lately. I haven't run with an ipod for years.. probably at least 3 years or so? Ever since I started running with other people and in groups.. and then even when I trained by myself, it just seemed like there was always enough other things going on.. splits to watch, miles to tick off, intervals to think about.. But without all of that, I felt it might be time to turn the tunes back on.. So far so good, though if I run in the dark, I'm not sure I'll want music in my ears.. maybe just 1 ear, so I can be more aware of my surroundings.. But sometimes it really has helped to dictate a better run.. pick up when the song picks up, recover during the slower songs.. So that's new, I guess, as far as how I'm training. I wish I could find people to ride bikes with during the day.. I'll work on that. Well. Lots of random stuff.. hopefully my internet will work better, so I can do shorter, more focused posts this week.. I suppose I should call to have them come out or fix it remotely or whatever they do.. but that stuff just makes my head hurt.. So I'll just take the internet not working as a 'sign' that I should do something else. I look for 'signs' in lots of things.. most of the time, but I've noticed it more lately. Like last night when I decided I couldn't watch the KU game because whenever I watched, they couldn't hit a basket for anything, then I'd flip to another channel and when I'd come back, they'd be caught up again?! So then I went to bed and woke up to find out that they DID pull out the win! Wish I could have watched it.. Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment