GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pretty sure this will be Random

Bare with me, here.. I'm not too focused, so I can only imagine that will result in a less-than-to-the-point blog entry.. but we'll see what happens!
So we left off at monday.. let's see.. anything notable from there? Tuesdays started off with a swim.. LCM time at the Nat!! that's 'long coarse meters' to those not down with swimmer jargon. Well, usually I quite like the leisurely pace and 'just keep swimming'-ness of LCM.. and I hope to get back to that happy place by the time the beloved outdoor pool, which is 50m, as well, is open.. but as of this week? uh.. MAN 50m is a long way down there! Seems to take me forever, which when your current status requires extra rest and easy pace.. making those intervals is next to impossible for me. BUT. Lucky for me.. I don't really mind. I just am happy to get in, do my thing, sorta kinda pretend I'm following the coaches workout, then get out while the gettin' is good! But still.. WHEW! I'll get there.. I WILL enjoy the 50m outdoor pool this summer.. canNOT wait.
From there.. Crossfit, I reckon. I think it was a pretty successful week at the ol' JoCo. Monday's workout, as I mentioned, was run-heavy, which I really like. As much as I sometimes feel like my runs these days can look more like a death march, in the midst of a cf workout, it feels like my time to breathe a bit and I find myself enjoying the 'break'.. active recovery, perhaps? Tuesday was lift-y, but fine.. Lifting heavy stuff can make me a bit queasy lately, but I managed and stayed at a wt that was comfortable for me. Wednesday was another good one with a decent amount of running.. a mile, actually.. but while carrying a 14# medicine ball on my shoulder?! That never did quite get comfortable.. still trying to figure out the 'best' way to go about that one. I tried to pass along the advice to the fellas to carry the ball 'low'.. like when you're pregnant.. But that was quickly decided to be less than comfortable. Uh.. yeah.. I didn't say that would be the most comfortable and efficient way to carry it.. That's what you get when you ask the "pregnant lady" how to carry some extra weight around.. You're welcome! We also got to enjoy a few different methods of my favorite.. the pull up! strict pull ups (supposed to attach 20# to ya for that one, too.. but 'the boss' gave me a pass on that one.. I say I've got about 5-6 added lbs I carry around non-stop.. that's gotta count for something!) and then some chest-to-bars.. FUN. All of that, as I liked to say, was 'wrapped in a hug' with 25 burpees to start and end.. There were also some handstand push-ups in there.. I quite enjoyed it! Then.. in an effort to start cutting back a bit on cf workouts, as I typically have at least 1 day a week where I don't feel well at all.. I actually took the day 'off' on thurs. Of coarse.. I ran about 7 miles that day.. but that's 'all'! I promise! that and teach gymnastics, but nothing new there.. except I think the kids' brains were already on spring break, which made for a...ummm..interesting class day? Sheesh. Quick note about friday's cf and then I shall return to a note about thursdays run.. told ya this would be random.. Friday was a cardio workout with bear crawls, broad jumps and a splash of burpees.. fun, right! Again.. I maybe pushed too hard, but to me... why stop.. just breathe, get it done.. get to that finish line! Anyway
So thursday was fun. I did a few miles on my own pre-sunrise.. then Mason and I got loaded up (and bundled.. again.. I had to rely on my own (lack of) skills to dress us.. these in-between temps will always baffle me, I'm afraid) for a short run and then took our show on up to check out the Goddard School, which is right IN our neighborhood! It was fun. Mason seemed to really like it.. And I really like it for the convenience (and, of coarse, in the lovely spring haze that I'm in, I'm dreaming of always running up there for drop-offs and pick-ups, but I do realize that a majority of the year makes for less-than-ideal times to push your kid in a stroller.. too cold or too hot makes me feel like a jerk of a mom, but it IS a pretty short distance..), but we need to get this whole preschool thing figured out QUICK! Still working on it.. somebody give me a SIGN!
I also did a swim on wednesday, a bike ride outside on monday and inside on friday.. and we're planning to ride tomorrow, as long as we can work around the 'it could storm at any moment all day' forecast. I actually have surpassed my usual 20 running miles for the week this week. I'm not sure how this is happening, but getting those miles in seems to be getting easier somehow? I haven't really cut anything else out, that I can think of.. I think adding the stroller runs in has helped, even though those are usually short.. And being able to get outside to run early.. my strong desire to get those 'sunrise runs' in.. Because I'm not running 'long' at all, but somehow getting those miles in. I've even had some pretty good-feeling runs this week, which was nice. As 'race' season picks up, I'm already finding myself longing to enter a run.. a half? 10k? It's not an issue of if I could.. I know I 'could' and it would be fine.. It's more the fact that I can't ever predict how I'm going to feel these days.. I started feeling pretty sick last night (coming home from a concert! More on that in a bit) and woke up feeling the same. I tried to 'run it off' because a lot of times, the fresh air and activity actually does seem to help.. but no dice today. What if that was a race day? I can't just bail on race after race.. that seems silly.. So I think I'll stick to my plan of just volunteering and cheering/coaching at races.. at least until this nauseaus phase of my pregnancy passes.. it's going to pass.. right? Seriously.. it must.. But anyway, I hit my 20 miles on friday (after recounting over and over.. ), so my 3-ish this morning were 'bonus' and anything I get in tomorrow will be a 'bonus', too.. Maybe I should put them in the 'bank' for when I'm not feeling quite so spritely and up for running? like.. probably next week?
Oh, but what about this 'concert' I speak of, you ask? Ah, yes.. I heard on the radio this week, which is totally random because this artist would NEVER be played really on any radio station and definitely not on this 'top 40' type station.. but yet that's where I heard about it.. So Bela Fleck AND the Flecktones were on their way to play at Butler this friday! THE Bela Fleck!! AND his original crew! Most folks may not have heard of them, but if you've ever had, what I can only assume is the unbelievable, pinch-me-is this-real, chance-of-a-lifetime experience of living/rooming with me.. you have had the pleasure of enjoying this band. I'm not sure how many converts I've made, but I think Matt is officially a fan.. caught him listening to them on my ipod while he mowed today! Guess that's how I knew he was a keeper.. This is one of my 'core' fave bands that.. I just can't pass up the chance to see! Especially since they don't tour together very often. So we worked out the sitter situation and got our tickets.. and I'm happy to report that the Flecktones still got it! They are all such amazing musicians.. it's really kind of mind boggling to watch them do what they do.. So that part made me happy! What didn't make me happy was the long car ride to pick up Mason (don't worry, he was sleeping) and then drive back home after the concert.. I got super sick. Not cool. Guess you can't win 'em all.
So that's it. Here we are on saturday evening after a pretty easy day. 'Aunt 'Lis' (Matt's sister, Melissa) is here in town and we had a cookie/Easter extravaganza over here a bit earlier that wore me out. Now I sit with KU playing in the background.. kinda afraid to watch, but I sure hope they win! Here's hoping tomorrow is a good one.. 'til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment