GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Incredible?..or..Crazy..

This was the question I overheard the early am news lady and her camera guy discussing while they filmed some water safety segment at the Y at 5am the other day.. They were discussing how amazed they were that people would wake up early to go swim. Wanna know what I think is crazy? Filming a water safety segment at 5am in the dark next to what you apparently thought would be an empty pool? AND wearing your winter gear while you film said segment next to folks in their bathing suits. But that's just me.. I'm no stranger to hearing that question..is an ironman incredible? Or crazy.. Riding your bike across Indiana? Crossfit at 6+ mo pregnant? Obviously (or maybe not), I think all of those things are neither incredible nor crazy..but just..normal. But, I guess 1 person's normal is another person's crazy, right? Anyway.. Not sure where I was going with that.. Things are going pretty well these days with how I'm feeling and the workouts I'm doing..despite this silly belly (probably those round ligaments everyone talks about..definitely not any Braxton hicks or anything like that.. Say 'cramp' when you're pregnant and boy do folks get in a tizzy!) cramp thing.. Seems to happen more regularly, but nothing too bad.. Nothing a little breather and/or slowing down can't fix. But I'm definitely feeling good about my new limits to keep my back and body feeling good and strong.. Hopefully we can keep this up for a bit. My 40 minute swims out in the fabulous 50m pool have been lovely..the brisk waters and mornings feel just fine to me! (seriously, news lady..winter coat and hat? It was 55 degrees) I could probably do that every day and be just fine.. I had a nice, little Wednesday today, which seems to still be my day of back to back workouts.. 30 min/3mi run in the chilly sunrise..lovely.. Quick change and breakfast, then off to crossfit..it was a good one and I could do almost all of the movements, though slightly altered for pregnancy (ie: 'toes to bar' are more like..'knees to however high you can get them'..but it still does the trick), so that felt good.. Then another quick change and off to the pool for a cool down swim. Pretty much, these days, my swims consist of various versions of ways to alternate swim, pull and kick..mostly in 100s..some with 'toys' (paddles and fins), some without..until time is up and/or baby says stop.. So pretty easy going out there and mostly just want to keep good form and enjoy the pool. Then, to cap off the day, after a good rest and some more food (though it is harder and harder for me to find any foods that I can eat before workouts.. Cereal..no..pizza..no..bagel? Usually ok..not so much today.. Ugh. Or maybe it was the cottage cheese and strawberries.. Bars are usually a safe bet, but one can only eat so many bars, ya know?!), my riding buddies came over for our usual 20mi ride.. Nice little Wednesday, indeed! Speaking of things I can't eat these days.. That list keeps getting longer and longer! No carbonated drinks.. Cereal is a toughie. My beloved Greek yogurt with fruit and cereal always seems to leave me curled up in a ball wishing I hadn't eaten anything..even though it was so good as it passed the lips.. Seems we might be dealing with a little bit of a dairy aversion, here, but I'm not giving up yet. Cheese and cottage cheese seem to be ok.. I think.. All fruits are a-ok and veggies have been a big baby favorite this time, too.. I've never ever thought about taking a picture of my food before, but the salad I made yesterday (and again today) was quite amazing, if I may say so myself. Can we talk about food for a second? There's a recipe that I've been crazy for these days, so it's only fair that I share.. I actually got it from another gals blog.. I won't mention who.. I'm sure she's a lovely gal, but she has some disordered eating stuff going on that I wouldn't really want to advocate that others check out.. I'll talk about more thoughts on that type of thing another time.. Been meaning to for a while, but keep getting side tracked.. Spoiler alert.. Dr oz is on my list! But anyway.. I've tried out this pancake recipe a few times and it's so good! It's just 1/3c oats, 1 egg, about 2T cottage cheese, dash baking soda, salt, vanilla, about a T cinnamon/sugar mix (I added that one in there..I already had this mixed up, I guess from a cinnamon toast kick a while back?, but you could just use sugar. I added the vanilla, too.. I like vanilla in my baked things and add it where I can), mix it up and it makes 2 lovely pancakes..add some syrup and pb and you've got yourself one delicious start to the day! So on that note, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment