GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, June 4, 2012

Now..just. Don't. Blow it..

That's really hard for me to do.. I always would scold patients when they wanted to come off their DM/BP/chol/whatever meds because 'things were going better' and I would say, 'they are better because of the meds and lifestyle changes.. If we stop them now, well probably set you back'. Makes so much sense when applied to others.. But myself? Ah. So impatient, I am. After 3 weeks now since my back told me a big, fat 'NO', I'm feeling much better! I've been able to run a bit, though I'm keeping the running to about 30 minutes at a time right now..but it's feeling good! My first run was..not great. I started with intentions of a walk/run, but was able to keep running most of the time..but I have to admit, it was pretty sore. BUT, I kept it short and easy and think I quit while I was ahead.. That was right at the two week mark, so I stuck to the plan.. Pretty much.. The next day I got back on my bike and that felt pretty good, too, but still took it easy. Then memorial day came.. I love holidays! It's a great chance to get some quality exercise in, and that's what I did..in my new, pregnancy kind of way. I originally had these big plans for riding my bike all around..to swim..to crossfit..then back home.. But even I could see that was a bit much, so I scaled it back to a 20mi ride with a friend, then drove..in a car..to crossfit for a long-ish workout, which included a mile run at the start and finish of the workout. Again, I took it easy, but figured a flat mile broken up by 20+ min of body weight exercises (ring rows..since my shoulder still won't allow me to do my beloved pull-ups.. One thing at a time, though.., push-ups and air squats) would be a good way to ease in to running.. And it went really well! I left that workout feeling really excited about how my back was doing and the fact that I was going to be able to continue all my favorite activities, even if it was at a vastly slower, more watered down pace.. I can handle that.. I think.. And thus enter the mantra.. Just don't blow it.. So with some continued chiropractor cracking, icing, stretching.. My rotator cuff PT stuff..and a generally slowed down training load.. I think I'm on the right track. Now, just don't blow it.. Easier said than done. I already find myself thinking "I'm feeling better, so now I can do" xyz..enter whatever activity you can name.. But I have to think like I did with those patients.. Maybe you're feeling better because you're not doing 'xyz' and you should.. I don't know.. Keep it that way? We went to Baltimore over the weekend. Had a good time. Went to another Zac Brown Band concert, which was great. Mason got to hang with his grandparents and Aunt Lis, which is always a good thing. We got to catch up with some friends and all the new, little members of the group.. So many babies and toddlers these days! It was fun to see them all interact..boys running around, the little girls doing girls things..which I found particularly fascinating, since I'm not used to that. I got a couple runs in and a swim.. Nothing too exciting about any of that except, I guess, that the back is still holding on and seems to be handling the 30 minute runs just fine. When we got home, we hit some fine, local nesting establishments.. Bed Bath and Beyond.. Lowes.. Room place.. Even Babies R Us! It was quite the lovely Sunday and our nesting has begun! Mason is really excited about his 'big boy room', for which he chose 'bright green' for his walls, a road/race track type comforter to start off the theme of cars, trucks..'garbage trucks' for his room..and green sheets.. Despite our trying to guide him toward some variety of colors, he's really going for the whole green thing! And as much as I'm sure his 'favorite color' will change by the time we get the room all together, it's not worth arguing over..especially when he's so excited about it and we want to keep things positive while he prepares to move out of his room and make changes to allow for the arrival of his little brother.. So green it is! I'm also excited about changing up the nursery to get set for the new little guy.. I wanted to do animals and was so excited to see all the options out there! Animals driving cars.. Animals playing sports..playing instruments.. So cute! So anyway, that's about all I have to say about that. Here's to the start of another new week! Feeling better. Feeling confident about how my back and body is doing. Feeling like I need to continue to be cautious and not overdo things just because I'm feeling better. It's just not worth it.. So I'll do what I gotta do! It's amazing how much the baby is moving and growing right now. And it's cool that the new general response to my saying I'm due in early Sept is now "that's coming soon!" Indeed..

No comments:

Post a Comment