GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Funcie Half-Iron!

First weekend in July brings me to my 1st tri of this season!!...the half ironman in Muncie, Indiana..which just so happens to be my ol' college stompin grounds! Of coarse, the race coarse was no where near the campus (bummer), but it was still nice to be up there doing something SO different from back in the college days! My goal for this race, being that it was my 1st tri since AGN last Sept, was just to race 'comfy', figure out where I am as far as training & nutrition & such.. finish feeling good & strong & ready to build for the next one. I know that drives some people nuts that I would say I just want to race comfy & that this was a 'training' half-iron race.. But that's the truth. So all went well. I was psyched that the water was too warm for wetsuits (!!).. I had planned not to wear one anyway, but I woulda felt strange if I had been the only one not wearing one...this just made the decision not to wear one easier! So the swim was really good! Felt strong..was able to push through the crowd (which I usually avoid by starting out to the side & hanging back a bit..but I was feeling confident, I guess, & decided I wanted to line right up w/ the bouys & get out there & move!) w/ only a little jostling..but got free pretty quick & felt great! I was pretty proud of my ability to stay right in line with the bouys, as I usually vere way out & can never seem to get close to the actual coarse..so I usually probably swim an extra few 100 meters, which can really make a difference! So I came out of the water feeling good (NOT the last this time!!)..saw Matt & Mason & made sure to make my way over to give Mason his now expected kiss every time I see him! (I'm not complaining) Now off on the bike! Pretty uneventful bike. Did learn 1 thing (at least)...I can't drink gatorade (or in this case it was IM Perfom..really any sweet drink) for the entire race/ride...it gets too sweet & I actually felt more thirsty after every sip, instead of feeling refreshed. I know I need the sugar & electrolytes...but I just can't rely on that for the whole race b/c it didn't actually hydrate me...just loaded me up w/ sugar. So the ride went well. Felt great, except when the wind knocked my pace down, but that'll happen out on a flat coarse! I took off for the run feeling good, initially.. Saw Team Blunck again on my way in from the bike & then out for the run.. But about a few 100 meters in or so, I got a 'punch in the gut' type of cramp. Oh, MAN?! This was a new one... I've had stomach cramps/pain/GI issues before, but never this kind of cramp. All I could think to do was slow down to a walk for a while, and since I felt so thirsty after drinking all that sweet sports drink, I just drank lots and lots of water. Well, that combo worked & I was able to pick 'er up to a nice jog at first & then was cruising along pretty darn well, if I do say so myself! I stuck w/ water and taking a Gu every 3 mi through the whole run (yes, even at mile 12) and by the end, I was passing folks left and....well...left, anyway. People had really talked up the 'hilly' quality of the run in Muncie and said you have to 'save up' energy for the end.. Well, it had some rollers, don't get me wrong..but dare I say it was a bit over-hyped. But that's where I did a lot of my passing...I was feeling good! (mind you...this is all relative..) I did run with my hand-held water, which I think was another big savior for this run. It was really hot, but with my constant intake of cold water (b/c I could fill up w/ ice at aid stations) and then could douse myself w/ ice water and cold water sponges at every mile/aid station.. I actually kept fairly cool! So...I head in for the finish.. came in at about 5:40, which was just where I wanted to be!..actually, a little faster, which is always nice. It wasn't a PR for me, but as I said, I wasn't shooting for one! Sometimes, I'm learning, you just need to practice racing smart & steady & not always shoot for 1-upping yourself. All in all, a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment