GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Thursday, August 4, 2011

More training notables

I actually got to test my theory of no ride seeming long after RAIN (thanks, coach!) about 2 wks ago when we had a 100mi ride followed by a 3mi run (which might seem like..why just 3 mi?? But it's a pretty good indicator of how the legs will feel off a longer bike ride). I was actually able to talk some folks into joining me, which was lovely. I broke it up into 2 loops, so some people could come join us for just 1 of the loops (those NOT training for super long events), which worked out really well. I had my tri-bud, Ashley, along for the whole thing, of coarse. We had another friend of a friend join us for the whole ride, which was great! Kim was training for a long bike weekend up in Madison, WI, so this workout worked well for her, too. So the 3 of us did both loops. After the 1st loop, we came back to my house, which my husband and son had gone and bought us some 'snacks' for our 'SAG' (they really are great, aren't they?), and some of my Y tri group came along for the 2nd loop! It made for great company on the ride & I think it helped to break it up & keep things interesting VS just heading out for hrs w/o any other contact, people to talk to, etc.. I felt good on the ride & even the short run after felt pretty good! I say 'pretty good' b/c I was a tad bit low on sugar by the time we went out & I didn't take any with me, so I was getting a little light headed by the time we were done.. BUT, again..lesson learned..always carry some nutrition..ya never know when your energy store will run out! & when it runs out...it just runs out.. But we finished strong & I was very pleased with the workout. I think, if I remember correctly, the day before this was a 20mi run.
The very next wk, I decided..kinda last minute..that we would visit my parents in KC during my big bro & his family's visit from TX, since it's so rare since their move that we get to see them.. I hadn't even met my newest niece yet!! So Mason & I were to take off to drive to KC on wed am.. I decided we would drive b/c I wanted to take my bike...training waits for no one! Especially right now as I'm in the 'peak' of all the training. BUT.. I had a long training on the schedule for that weekend and, though I planned to train while I was there, I didn't want to have to train ALL day.. which is what this workout called for.. So what do I do?? I do my looooong workout on tuesday! This workout was an 80mi ride, some rest time, and then a 15mi run. Well, so I had to start my ride early..before the sun..and I couldn't talk anyone into joining me for a 5am ride (can't believe why not after I dragged them out for 50mi just 2 days before??).. I won't ride solo in the dark, so that left me w/ the trainer.. I planned to get outside as soon as the sun came out, but wouldn't ya know it, it chose that day to be super foggy! Again..not safe for riding solo.. So a few episodes of entourage, the office..and whatever else I could find later (4hrs!), the ride was done. Now to rest a bit, but I had to teach gymnastics that night (I've been teaching the little kid classes at the Y lately.. I enjoy it!), so I couldn't wait for too long.. So at noon, I set out for my run. YIKES! Um.. peak sun/heat of the day?! Didn't go so well.. I made it about 10mi & just couldn't do another loop. So I decided I would finish my 5mi on the treadmill after I taught my classes.. So that's what I did! And then, of coarse, if you're me...you're not done yet! There's the Y Tri team swim on tuesday nights, which is outside & we get the whole 50m pool all to ourselves.. I love it.. So I decided that would be a nice 'cool-down' to my day.. I'm actually glad I decided to do it. I felt good & I think it always helps to 'shake things out' in the pool, rather than let the lactic acid build up and get muscles sore, etc.. So my long training for the week was in the books & it was only tuesday! I did take my bike to KC & managed to find a great group to ride with (now, much to Matt's dismay, I have declared that we now must always drive to KC so I can take my bike & ride w/ this group!)..so it was good!
We actually did have a great visit in KC, too.. Always great to see my parents, which Mason loves to seem them! And we also got lots of good cousin time for Mason! (he finally calls them his cousins and not his 'sisters' or his 'friends') Matt & I even got to go to a concert while we were there! We went to our 1st country show! We were there as fans of the Zac Brown Band..which is country, but not the typical twangy kind of country.. But he was headlining w/ mr Kenny Chesney.. Oh, WOW...he's a performer, for sure. I felt like I was watching a movie b/c I had never really been to a concert where I wasn't really in to the main act.. But it was good. We had a great time, despite the heat that seems to be the theme for the summer (go figure! I love how everyone is so surprised by the fact that it's hot & humid in the mid-west in the summer... Uh...yup.. Just like last yr and all the yrs before! Better watch out.. I'm thinking it might happen again around this time next yr!) I would also like to note that thanks to our great friends the Krebs', Matt & I were able to attend a wedding AND and OAR concert the previous week.. So, see?? I get out, too.. I don't ONLY train 24/7....

No comments:

Post a Comment