GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SWIM a 5k??!!

So after the bike ride, next was to swim a 5k in open water (at Morse Reservoir in Noblesville, IN). Definitely the farthest I had swum...and it was not wetsuit legal, which..it turns out..is a good thing b/c I'm HATING wetsuits right now. For those that haven't been around me much this season, I've worked my butt off trying to become a better swimmer. I'll never quite catch up to those life-long swimming folks..or the college swimming crew..but I've really worked on my stroke & am finally to the point where I really enjoy swimming & I feel like I 'glide' through the water VS constantly wrestling the water...which, as anyone knows..is a losing battle for sure. SO. Since I've worked so much on my swim, I'm now one of those that feels hindered by the wetsuit instead of being helped by it.. So it was a good thing that it was just the swimsuit and I out there for 3.1 miles. I actually felt great throughout the swim & gained a lot of confidence through the event, which was exactly what we set out to do! It started a little rough..it was POURING & we weren't sure if we were going to get a break in the weather long enough to do the swim.. Not quite as much of an issue for us 5k-ers, but there were lots of folks (real swimmers) doing a whole 25K (?!)...which required much more of a break in the storm.. But we got it & it actually turned out to be a really nice day. I didn't have any issues, really...a little bit of a 'rub' on the back of my neck.. not sure if it's from my arm or cap or what.. But no aches or pains of note.. took about an hr and 50 minutes, which is not fast by any stretch..but good enough for a 3rd place in the relay!! That's right...major award winners!! So it was a great swim. Great day. w/ the 2 hr rain delay, I got to spend some time w/ some buddies..Ashley and Ginger, who made up our team, which I believe the name was "Wait.. this 15k is in the water??!!" (catchy, I know..)..also both of whom will be joining me at Rev3 for the full iron distance race.. Mark, Joe and Sam were there as support/kayak.. Dru was there as the always wonderful support crew/cheer team AND she even stepped in and helped me a TON by watching my little guy while I swam.. huge thanks to her! So it was good! Another successful event on the road toward Ironman!!

No comments:

Post a Comment