GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Long time No Blog!

I've been delinquent, to say the least, in my postings, so I thought I'd try to catch myself up here, if for no other reason than just to serve as a journal for me to look back at how this whole season of training for a FULL ironman panned out. SO. Last entry was about the relay, which was a part of my marathon training.. AH, the marathon. I was planning to do the Flying Pig marathon on May 1st..& I was good & ready, too! But all was for not, b/c I wound up tearing my meniscus while playing soccer (which was my speed training...so part of marathon training, though, admittedly, maybe not the best choice for a gal w/ knees like mine) & it was torn in such a way that it was really unstable & not at all fun to run on. SO I had to bag that race & got the meniscus repaired w/ a scope the next weekend. It's been 3 months now & my knee is good as new! It took a bit longer than I had hoped for me to get back into running..the knee just took a while to get over all that messing around they do in there when they operate. But my 1st 'race' back after the surgery was a 1/2 marathon in KC...Hospital Hill, again, which I had done last yr and really enjoy that race. It was my worst run....ever... In fairness.. Looking back I should have seen this coming.. & I did, to an extent.. But going in to the 1/2 marathon, I had only been able to build up to a 6mi run, which I did the wk before the race.. & I'd really only been back to any running at all for about 2 wks after at least a full month completely off of running. The other kicker was that my last long run, which was a part of the marathon training, was way back when it was about 30 or 40 degrees...so the 90 degree temps & humidity were a bit of a shock to the ol' system. All in all, it was ill advised & I paid the price. I think it took me something like 2 hrs 20 min to finish, which is the longest 1/2 for me by far. At about the 7mi mark I had to make the decision to bag any pace concerns & just take care of my stomach (all that time away from training caused my stomach to forget what it's like to run longer distances while digesting...not fun..) & just get through the race. BUT.. I take it as a learning experience & even though it was a crappy return.. at least I was back into the racing & training! So Hospital Hill...we will meet again & I WILL come better prepared next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment