GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Thursday, August 4, 2011

training notables

I just wanted to take note of a few trainings & things I've learned along the way here.. I've had a couple of 'long runs' on the ol' training schedule..meaning a 20 mile run at a steady, fairly easy pace.. what I've come to call my 'all day' pace. Now, this isn't the 1st 20mi run I've done...but this is my 1st SUMMERtime 20mi run, which is really a beast of a whole new color. So back in the day when I 1st took on some longer distance running, I used to think I needed to plot out a coarse for whatever distance I was going that day & just carry what I needed.. I guess I thought if I was close to home that would be too much of a distraction.. Well, these days with the 90+ degree heat w/ crazy humidity.. there's no way I could carry everything I needed on these runs, so I've gotten used to doing those runs in 3 loops, stopping back at my house to refill my water, get any food I need..and even change my clothes &/or shoes! (little known fact...I'm a sweat-er! clothes get pretty heavy when drenched in sweat & shoes can get pretty squishy! Both things make a longer run quite miserable, so if I can quickly change those things...I'm all for it!) So that's been a big difference in my longer runs. I've also really stepped up my nutrition during workouts & runs.. I only drink water on the run, but take either Gu/Gel/Chews something equaling 100 kcal every 3mi, so usually at least 200 kcal/hr..sometimes more, though, if I feel like I need it!
I'm also to a point now where I swim about 4x/wk, which has really helped with my stroke, speed and overall comfort in the water. It's a pretty average swim workout to get 3k in & some days I'll do 2 swims/day or just a longer straight swim of 4 or 5k. That might sound like small potatoes to a real swimmer, but for this adult-learning-just trying to make it-triathlete swimmer..that's quite a success! To put it in perspective, when I trained for the sprint in Chicago back in '09..I would get in the pool & aim to do just 800m, which was the race distance..or sometimes I'd go all out & do a whole 1k! So this is a big improvement in the swim for me..
As for the bike.. I still love to bike.. & I upgraded my ride this season and love to ride even more! I'm to the point where any ride under 50mi would be a 'short' ride..it's really not a big deal to do 80 miles these days..just gotta pack the nutrition!..and not only sweet stuff.. So that's the latest learnin's from my training!

No comments:

Post a Comment