GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, April 28, 2012

BOO.. Rain..

what is this.. spring or something? How dare it rain out our training today. It was one of those 'back and forth' moments.. some brave souls from the TNT Tri team came down to Greenwood ready to ride and run with me today.. As of 'go' time, it was cold, windy and starting to drizzle/rain.. but we were all bundled and trying to be optimistic. But as the rain picked up a bit, we took one last look at the radar and saw the dreaded 'yellow band' a'comin our way.. so we made the decision to bail. I always feel bad about bailing.. but as we sat at breakfast (yes.. our training turned in to some major 'noshing' at Sophia's Pancakes) watching the sky get darker and darker and eventually open up to a full on thunder/lightning/downpour, I felt vindicated for making the call to back out for today.. So my nice ride/transition run workout day has turned in to a rest day.. Not exactly a bad thing, I don't think. I know some were planning to ride their trainers.. which I suppose I could do.. but with 2 rides already done for this week and still a 'hopeful' ride for tomorrow.. I think rest is better.. Nothing else too exciting from the week to report (wow.. nothing MORE exciting than a foiled workout plan? can't believe it..). Thursday was a 'lighter' day, after wednesday's craziness.. woke up to swim and then ran a few with Mason later. It wasn't a great swim.. or a great run, for that matter. I think I might be 'tapping out' of masters swim workouts soon.. I'm just not able to keep up enough in the LCM pool to make the workouts that they provide really work for me.. And any 'sprint' work is out because they wipe me out and make me feel sick.. So I'm thinking just slow, easy, good form swimming is in order for me. Hopefully it'll get WARM enough by the time they open the lovely outdoor 50m pool at the gym.. then I can do some easy cruisin' in style! The run was just tough, for some reason.. nothing in particular.. except I learned that I am, in fact, ALL TALK when it comes to confrontation.. You see.. I always internally (or sometimes on facebook) bitch about those dog owners that have the nerve to let their pooch crap right on the trail (or sidewalk, but I only notice it on the trail because other than that, I'm on the road.. not a whole lot of dog poop on the road, luckily) and then don't clean it up. RUDE, right?? So we were running along behind a lady jogging with her pooch (not on a leash.. but they seemed to be doing alright with it, so I'll leave that one alone).. and sure enough, she let him squat to poop right in front of us and then just called him up to her to continue their jog.. WHAT??!! I mouthed.. she didn't seem get the picture.. I motioned angrily at the offending poop.. still nothing.. THEN, I even had the chance to say something as we passed her... still nothing.. Aw, MAN. Who am I. How am I ever going to save the world, one careless person letting their dog crap on the sidewalk at a time, if I don't even speak up when it's RIGHT in front of me?! The shame.. Next time, though.. Next time?...she's gonna hear it from me.. Don't worry. I'm kicking my own ass for being lame. But what was I going to say.. she knows she left the poop there.. it's not like she forgot it. She knows I saw it.. I just couldn't think of anything to add to the situation that would be constructive and not just make me look like a total tool. Anyway.. So that was that. Friday I guess I woke up all sorts of ambitious because I went for a solo swim at the Y.. I've avoided swimming at the Y for quite some time now.. pretty much since the outdoor pool closed back at the end of last summer.. because the water is always so blazing HOT!!! And a lot of times it's crowded, as well.. Which I actually think is cool, the fact that there's so many triathletes and folks that enjoy swimming that the lap lanes fill up most mornings.. Most of the folks swimming are pretty decent lap swimmers.. except those that aren't, of coarse.. but there really are quite a few out there at our Y, waking up early to get some good swimming in.. some to train for tri's, some as cross training for running.. but it's nice to see such active folks.. except when they're in my way.. Anyway, where was I.. So I thought, after my realization on thurs that masters may be over my pregnant abilities at the moment, that I should give the ol' Y a go.. Not bad! It didn't feel too hot.. warmer than the Nat at IUPUI, but not too 'life sucking' hot.. It probably helped that I was the ONLY person in the pool for the majority of my swim.. Not sure if it will always be like that on fridays, but it wasn't a bad re-introduction to the Y indoor pool. I kept it pretty easy.. lots of pulling, and drills, and kicking, and then some breast and back stroke.. just wanted to swim easy, because I had plans to grab a quick run when I got home, too! That went fine, as well, though it was a little chilly.. but a nice morning and definitely redeemed thursdays crummy run.. Then I went to crossfit later, which was a bench and pull-up workout.. went fine, but now I'm nursing a pretty sore shoulder. I think the combo of not having benched in a while, then going straight to doing, like, 70 or so at 95#..maybe not super smart on my part? and then doing pull-ups in between those reps.. Not to mention my, apparently 'loosening' joints with pregnancy.. put that combo together on a platter and you have yourself a sore shoulder! So.. here's hoping the weather gets its act together so that I can get a good run and ride in tomorrow.. Still have some running miles to get in and then a nice spin on the bike.. sure will be nice.. Hear that, weather??!! Please work with me here.. But for now.. REST.

No comments:

Post a Comment