GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Shoe Walk of Shame

I bought a new pair of saucony mirage II shoes on Saturday and I was all jazzed about them..until I ran a few miles in them. I don't know if it was the crowded store, the hungry belly, or the bright blue and pink color, but I totally missed a big problem that I should have known would be an issue for me. I'm not the easiest foot to fit.. I have bunions and flat-ish feet, but still manage a pretty neutral gait.. But my 1st test of a shoe is always to stick my hand in there (after first looking at the overlays up front to see if anything looks like it would rub my bunion the wrong way..) and feel along the inside of the front of the shoe to see if it has a 'sock liner' type feel to it, because in addition to having 'trouble feet', I also prefer to run without socks..hence the need for a shoe with a smoothe inside that won't rub and cause blisters. I have no idea how I missed it (damn shiny blue shoe), but the tongue is sewn in there with this big ol' overlapping material thing that was just waiting in there to give me a blister. First run was short and felt ok..not great, but I thought it would be alright.. Next run gave me the blisters.. Believe it or not, I still wasn't convinced and I ran again in them.. Still not terrible, but I couldn't help noticing the redness and the slowly growing blisters continuing to form.. I knew what I had to do. To me, you should look forward to running in a new shoe..not have to plan for how you can best avoid a painful, bloody mess.. And I was not looking forward to this shoe. As bummed as I was and as much as I wanted to keep toughing it out, I knew it was best for me to drag myself back to the store..for the shoe walk of shame.. To beg for mercy and ask for a swap out. Of coarse, I bought these at a good running store, which allows for returns up to a certain point, and I knew I fell well within those guidelines, so they took 'em back with a smile and were helpful and patient with me as I felt up all of their shoes. I must be alone in this whole 'tongue flap rubbing' issue because it was looking like ALL the damn shoes in there had that darn flap.. But the nice fella found me some Kinvaras, which don't seem to have any overlays or tongue flap things to rub my feet. I tried them out on the treadmill, and though there was some concern of pronation, we decided to go for it. Here's hoping they feel great! I don't think I can bare another shameful return to the store to beg for more foot forgiveness.. These will have to be pretty offensive to get me back for a second swap..so wish me luck! So, in short, buying shoes without fully testing them out is a bad idea..know what is a good idea? Stopping at Walgreens for some discounted easter candy! We actually went in there for the much more important necessity of an ice cream treat for Mason (why Walgreens, you ask? I was lazy and didn't want to go to a full grocery store, but had promised Mason we would pick up an ice cream treat..enter Walgreens!), but when we walked in, we were greeted with a table full of discounted goodies. We each picked out a chocolate egg.. Masons had a 'marshmallow ducky' in it..mine had some pb creme, or something..it was only ok.. But Mason enjoyed his.. How do kids get SO messy when eating chocolate? Beyond me.. But very funny (for the record, I took a pic of him with my iPad because I am too lazy to go through the multi step process of taking the picture with my camera, then hunting down the attachment thing to plug into the computer to download the pic, then upload, or whatever.. I thought I could take the picture on my iPad..check.. Then blog on my iPad..also check.. But I can't figure out how to add the picture.. Too bad, too, because it's super cute.. Maybe I can just paint a picture with words? Wouldn't that be a treat.. I'll work on it and maybe figure it out some day, but today is not that day.. Just thought I'd let you know!) In other news, it's looking like it will be a bit of a lighter workout week this week.. I did get 2 rides in this week, and I doubt I'll get any more in, so I guess that's it. As I mentioned, Monday was kinda crappy and thus, my Monday ride wasn't so great, either.. But yesterday's ride was better. Much less vomit-burping, had been able to eat better, so had better energy, felt like I was moving pretty well out there, too. And it was an incredible day out, so an extra bonus there. I finally made it to a swim today, which was rather unremarkable, except it did feel good to get a swim in when it was starting to look like I wouldn't get any in.. So I guess I have that going for me! It was a good crossfit workout yesterday, too, except I may have overdone with the rope climbs at the end (it was a workout called 'dirty dozen' and it took me just under 20 min) because I felt a bit pukey after and am now also super sore.. But all in all, good stuff. I'll get maybe 1 or 2 more crossfits in and probably another short run to round out my weekly 20.. Not super light, I suppose you could say, but light-ish. Not much else to report! So I bid you adieu...

No comments:

Post a Comment