GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, April 23, 2012

work in progress

It's monday and, I guess you could say I'm back at it. After a pretty low key weekend, workout-wise.. though very busy with Mason stuff, since Matt was out of town (does anyone sleep well when their spouse is away? I slept like crap.. up almost every hr..and not just 'check the clock' up, like.. 'wide awake, so I watched a movie' up. Anyway, thankfully he's home now!) and I was kinda 'single-mom-ing' it. Side note.. I have no idea how single parents do it. Really. Glad I'm not in that situation.. So anyway, this weekend I did NO running, swimming OR biking (who am I??).. did 1 crossfit on saturday morning and it was a good one.. took about 42 minutes and it was a partner gig.. I enjoyed the workout, though a lot of the reps fell to me.. which, of coarse, was fine with me. All of the movements were things I could do just fine despite my growing belly and growing # of limitations. So anyway, that was it for the weekend workouts. Friday I think was just a crossfit day, too.. so hadn't run or anything since thursday?! As I mentioned before, I had some new shoes calling my name, so I couldn't wait any longer and woke up early (Mason was crowding us out anyway.. he had a rough night of throwing fits after he didn't take a nap and then had his 1st parent-free swim lesson.. so, exhausted, all the little fella knew to do was throw fit after fit until he fell asleep.. by about 6pm.. so he came to our bed around midnight and slept the rest of the night away with us.. in a Queen bed, that can get cozy!) and went out for a brisk, still night run (5:30...not that bad and used to be quite the norm!). It was great! Even though those 30 degree temps are hanging on after that teaser a few weeks back when it was warm, but oh, well.. I bundled up and took off for a little over 3 mi, since I had a 30min cutoff to get back home so Matt could go to work.. But I think it was a good start to the day and week. And so far, so good with the Kinvaras.. though I did have to wear socks today (because of the cold), so no barefoot testing just yet.. But I think these will be keepers. No more returns for this go-round.. After my run, I cleaned up a bit (pregnant nose can't handle much stinky sweat on sweat build up.. hence today will probably be at least a 3 shower day) and went to crossfit. After a bit of a history of pukey mondays, I was determined to do better with listening to what my body needs, as far as working out while pregnant and NOT spend the rest of the day in the fetal position.. which is what I mean by my being a 'work in progress' right now.. I think I did well! I'm very good at knowing what my body needs from me in the context of triathlon.. food? salty food? more fluid? slow down? speed up? more rest? I can figure that stuff out on the fly and can easily adapt as needed.. I think that's a huge part of what makes me capable of training for and completing half and full ironman with minimal, if any, recovery issues. BUT. Crossfit is more 'new' to me, so I'm not quite as good at knowing my limits there.. And I've never done any of it pregnant before, so that's completely new to me and I think that may have been part of the problem with why I would feel so cruddy after some of the workouts. Totally my fault. I know to watch my breath and all of that stuff, but little things like knowing that doing movements that require me to 'crunch'/squat down, thus squeezing my belly.. makes my feel like I'm going to thow up.. and when I try to do multiple reps of that in a quick-ish way? definitely not feeling good. So I told 'the boss' about what my limits seem to be at the current time, which meant instead of squat cleans, which cause basically 3 points of nausea.. squat to pick up, bar across my neck, squat back down WITH bar at neck.. all = pukey. SO I did hang cleans.. feel a little wimpy about it, but definitely didn't make me feel sick.. so I think it's a win! For now, anyway.. I just have to keep listening to what 'the belly' needs. Which, speaking of the belly.. it's growing, that's for sure! I'm about 1/2 way through and finally succumbing to more 'maternity' type clothes.. mostly because of the need for comfort and so I don't feel squeezed (also makes me feel sick) all day. By the way, if anyone doesn't shop at Old Navy, but enjoys comfy clothes.. you should check it out. They must be the home of the drawstring/stretchy waisted pant. The pants I already had like that were from there, and I just bought some more.. most of which aren't even maternity stuff.. just stretchy and comfy! Not sure if it's cool at all.. but at least now I have some more options of stretchy waisted things to put on, so I don't need to sweat pant it up all the time.. which is good for everyone involved..I think that's all of my 'deep thoughts' for this lovely, but chilly monday. I'm planning to rest and eat and get ready for a nice ride tonight.. may or may not run a mile or 2 after.. Have to see how the ride treats me, I guess. But that should wrap it up for monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment