GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Back home. Back to work!

And by 'work', I mean having fun in the gym, of coarse. So Sunday I just did a little hill running. Not my best run ever..I got a strange blister on my instep pretty early on in the run, so that didn't help.. But the show must go on, so I finished it out and felt good, overall.
Sunday was more hangin with my parents and my sister. We had made big plans to go do things..but it just worked out better to hang around the house. The boys really don't need extravagant plans when we visit, they are just happy as long as someone plays with them! So that is what we did.
Early Monday before our flight back, of coarse I had to visit Sky's Limit CrossFit one more time.. I wasn't 100% sure I'd have time to do my workout when I got home, so I figured at least I can get a quick workout in before I go.. Monday am was:
Bench press.. We did 2 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 3; I didn't want to get too crazy, so I started at 135 and worked up to 155.. All of which went fine.
Then the workout was:
10 min AMRAP
10 clean & press (95)
300 m run

I got through 4 rounds. It was a good workout. I find it to be a good addition to my workout plans to include more 'burner' type workouts along with the higher wt/skill workouts that our programming consists of. So this fit the bill just fine.

Our flight was uneventful. Miles was super fidgety, which didn't do wonders for my motion sickness, but we managed! Almost as soon as we got home, our babysitter arrived to hang with the boys because I was heading to the gym to grab a quick workout before working/coaching for the evening. It worked out really well because I got there in enough time to get my training in AND I got to do the workout with John, and I think we both were able to push each other a bit and got a good workout out of the deal! Mondays training was:

6 sets of 2 squats at 210#
Snatch every 30 sec for 4 min; first 4 min at 70%(105), second 4 min at 75%(115), next 4 min at 80%(120). It all went well and I didn't have any misses.
Snatch extensions and weighted GHDs (14#)
Then the workout!
5 rounds
6 overhead squats(115)
15 cal row
30' handstand walk

The workout went well..seems that any time I have snatches in a workout, I miss the first one.. So I missed my first snatch into the OHS, but other than that, I didn't have any misses and full snatched into my sets of squats. Handstand walks were all unbroken, too, but with all my gymnastics background, that's not really impressive.. Finished in 12:56. So that was Monday! Coaching was fun. Kept me busy and the time always flies by!
Know what else flew by?..my sleeping time! The morning came pretty quick, but, again..show must go on! So I hit the gym early for:

6 sets of 2 Deadlift at 255#
EMOM for 12 min strict weighted pull-ups. I used just 10# and will need to increase next time.. We did 5 the first 4 min, 4 the next 4 min, and 3 the last 4 min
3 sets of 2 push press (135,145,150) and 3 sets of 15 back extensions (35)
Then the workout..
3 rounds
7 Deadlift (235)
7 bar muscle ups
Immediately into
3 rounds
20 wallballs
20 TTB's

It was a tough workout! I was surprisingly winded by all of it, but managed to do all the first 3 rounds unbroken and then stuck with 12/8 on the next 3 rounds. At times I would want to rest more, but I'd tell myself that I could just get a set of 5 in, but would end up doing more, once it got started. I think I need to do that more often.. I always aim for bigger sets, but sometimes, just getting back on the bar, or whatever it might be, even just for a few reps, is better than waiting to recover enough to get a big set. I know that's probably a very obvious statement to most..but I often forget it and need to remind myself of that! Oh, and it took me 12:04 to finish..if that matters..

Since 2 workouts are better than one, I went back in after dropping Mason off at the Y for camp. My plan was to do some MU, some squat work, and then the gyms workout for the day.. And you know what..that's just what I did! I started with 5 sets of 4 MU, and those all went well. Then I did some 1 1/4 squats at lighter weights to work on my strength in that bottom position. I finally quit holding back on the quick decent into the bottom of my squat, so that was good! I think I had been fearful of my knees.. Or maybe just my strength to get back up?.. But I went for it and I'm kind of hoping maybe this will start me on a good road toward better squats and cleans?..to be continued..
Then the workout was:
25-20-15-10-5
STO (75)
200m shuttle run after each round

Good times! Took me 7:10.. After a couple L-sit attempts, Miles and I headed home for some rest! Well..that's not true.. First Miles needed to go run a bit.. And then get a med ball out to play with.. But THEN it was time to go. Today was the first time that I had brought Miles solo to the gym in a while, so he didn't have Mason to play with. I forgot the stroller, too, so he was on his own to hang out in the play room..and he did so great. He's such a big boy these days.. I kept peeking in on him (I don't close the door.. I use a box jump box to barricade him without making it so I can't see him and vice versa..) and he would just be playing, or sitting at the table eating snacks.. So cute. He called me over for a 'huggie' a couple times, but other than that, he kept himself busy!
And that should cover it!

No comments:

Post a Comment