GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The county fair, y'all

I can count my visits to the fair on one hand.. Three. I've been to a fair three times. And so far, each time I've left perplexed as to what one actually DOES at the fair? I've asked many..and after they realize that I'm not joking, they all say "walk around and eat".. That's not helpful. The walking around part is frustrating because people are always in the way..or I'm in the way..either way, hardly an enjoyable walk.. And the food? I'm not saying I eat perfectly all the time. Anyone who knows my philosophy on nutrition knows that I'm all about balance..no bad foods..anything can fit into a balanced diet.. But I've wandered around all 3 of those fairs that I've attended, and I think I found one thing to eat? And it wasn't awesome.. So, again.. I just don't get it..
All of this is a long way of getting to my point of why I attended my most recent fair..to work out, of coarse! As I mentioned, our gym was taking part in a crossfit exhibition/competition last night and it was a good time! (Once we found where we were supposed to be.. Given my lack of fair experience, simply telling me "it's at the fair" means precious little to me. And my teammate, Jaclyn, was not much help, as she is equally unversed in all things fair-related..but we got there) First up was several heats of individual competitors from the four local gyms that were participating, and then it was time for each gym to send a team of four out to compete against each other. That was the part that I was involved in. The first workout was:
Teams of 4
100 Deadlift (135(male)/95(female)); while 1 female works, 1 male holds the bar, other 2 rest
50 burpees over the bar
80 STO (shoulder to overhead; same wts, same deal w 1 working, 1 holding, 2 resting)
40 burpees over the bar
60 cleans (same wts, same holds)
30 burpees

They paired up teams via coin flip, so we just needed to beat the team we were paired with, which was crossfit indy south. (We did happen to come in first overall in that one, but it didn't matter) After that workout, the two top teams moved on to the final workout. We were up agains IXF for that last workout, and they had come in a close second in that first workout, so we knew it was going to be a good match up! The final workout was:

2 pairs of 1 male/1 female. 1 pair starts, next pair begins when the first pair got through the box jumps
400m sandbag carry (60#)
50 overhead squats (135/95)
50 box jumps (24/20")
50 front rack lunges (135/95)
50 kettle bell swings (70/53

We managed to come out ahead in that one, as well, so..winners! Like I said, we had fun and I think everyone involved had a good time. I'm not sure if we lured any fair goers in to our shenanigans, though.. Oh, well. So that was that!

I had also gone in to workout earlier that morning, of coarse, so that was a long day! The workout from that morning was:
5 sets of 4 bench press at 140# (80%)
10 EMOM of 10 strict dips..yeouch! I made 8 rounds with 10 dips, but then caved in to the pain and only got 8 for the last 2 minutes
Romanian Deadlifts superset with strict toes to bar..lots of fun today! Now for the workout..
5 rounds
200m shuttle run
Max effort muscle ups

It went ok, but maybe those dips and bench wore me down a touch because my sets of 4 on the MU, which I've been hitting just fine all month, just were not there. I got 4 in my first set, but then 3's the rest of the way. Not great, but what can ya do.
So that was yesterday. As much as I wanted to sleep in a bit today after not getting home from the fair fun til 10:30 and then not getting to sleep til much later, I knew I was heading out of town this weekend, so getting in to do the workout today was just easier than trying to figure out a way to make it up.. So, early wake-up call today..no rest for the weary! Today I did:
5 sets of 4 front squats at 165#
10 EMOM 2 cleans at 125-135#
Clean extensions superset with glute-ham raises
The workout was:

Every 2 minutes:
5 front squats (145#)
10 over the bar burpees

I finished each round in exactly :56, so this went pretty well for me! I can vividly remember a workout that included 145# front squats that went terribly, so it's always nice to see some progress there.. And that is about it!
Mason made it through his first week of camp at the Y, so we signed him up for next week. So after our quick visit to KC, he will have one last week of summer and will spend that time having fun at camp! I was talking with him this morning about how big he is getting and asked him if he feels like a big boy going to camp and he answered me so honestly and said "I DO feel like a big boy". Probably doesn't exactly translate on the ol blogeroo, but it was very sweet. You'll just have to take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment