GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Officially Not a Runner..

Kind of makes me sad to say, but I guess I knew it was the truth.. Just a bit sad to make it official. And I mean 'official'. The running gods came yesterday and took my runners card away..hauled it off in their 'we are runners, look at us go' mobile.. So it's done.
 I attempted a 5k run yesterday, which was actually enjoyable and made me think maybe I should spend more time out there gettin my run on.. But I was only able to squeak out a 23 minute and change 5k. Now, I haven't done any research to back this up, but something tells me that's a bit slower than I used to be.. It's ok. I guess the win in it was that I felt good and solid and like I could hold that pace pretty easily.. Trouble was that I don't appear to have a faster gear? Maybe it just didn't activate yesterday.. Anyway. That was my workout for yesterday. I enjoyed it, but was a little bummed to not be able to go faster. Maybe I should work on it?
 Today is Saturday, which is kind of my marathon morning of workouts. I did my 'day 6' from my comp workouts, which was shoulder-palooza. Started with strict press.. 5 singles at 95%, so 115#. Then I got to try max effort sets of..wait for it..strict deficit handstand push-ups?! They went fine. Except for maybe the fact that i almost passed out after the first set. Too much breath holding and upside down exerting! I set up the paralettes and made about a 6 or 7 inch deficit and repped out..3!.. Womp womp.. 3 isn't bad.. It's a start and not an easy trick, for sure.. 5 sets of those. Then 'good mornings'..indeed! And then some paralette l-sits, which I'm awful at. Finally time for the workout!..more shoulders..

 25-20-15-10-5
Shoulder to overhead (95#)
Kettle bell swings (53#)
 200m run after each round.

 Ouch! Not too awful after the first 2 rounds were done, but my arms were feeling the burn.. Took me about 14 min. Then I did some snatch work. Nothing heavy, just working on positioning and hopefully getting ready to build up to a new pr next week? Hopefully? I've been stuck at 145# for a while, so it would be nice to move on.. I worked on high hang, hang, full snatch; 3 sets of that complex at 85/95/105/115. And then?.. Team workout! It was fun today, I thought.. Teams of 3 and we did team variations of Karen, Annie, Jackie, and grace.. With an extra run at the end for good measure. And that's it! 

Yesterday was the fourth, so we got to head over to a friends house to catch up and hang out a bit. Mason suited up and hung out in the lake while Miles tried to convince me that he should swim in the lake, too! Not so much, little fella.. Soon. So he got to check out the dogs, throw rocks in the lake, eat cookies.. All the other good stuff! Today we have begun the search for a cool bunk bed for Miles' birthday! Wish us luck on that one.. He will be going straight from crib to this new bunk bed..which I'm sure will go flawlessly! And that's about it! I have some fun ideas for a good leg/lung/core burner to do tomorrow. Sundays I go to the gym for a little workin out and a little coaching. I get to hang out and coach during open gym, which is always a good time! I hope some folks come out to join me! I'm kind of excited to have a normal Sunday back and not have to do any video taping for my online competition that I did.. I did an online qualifier for a big competition coming up in September.. The Granite Games! I really enjoyed the workouts and doing the qualifier stuff, but like I said, glad to be done with all the video taping and worrying about the leaderboard and such. I wound up doing pretty ok in the qualifier and finished in 13th place, which was good enough to rank myself in the 'elite' category. I'm excited about the chance to really push myself against some top ranked crossfit gals, but it will be a tough challenge, for sure! Which is why I'm working so hard on my skills and weaknesses, doing 2-a-days, etc..building up for September! Before that comp, I have a partner comp in August, which I'll be pairing up with Jaclyn for that one.. So lots of things to look forward to this summer and fall. Ah, yes..and working on that 5k, too!..of coarse..

No comments:

Post a Comment