GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Super Tired and Deadlift maxes

Every night I tell myself I have to start getting to bed earlier.. And every night I get caught up in some show and wind up being up 'til 11. That might not sound late, or be late if I slept til 6 or 7 like a normal person, but 4am comes way too quick and then I'm a slug the rest of the day. I can usually rally and feel fine, but I guess after a few days..it catches up.. Last night it was a captivating mix of The Bachelorette..which I'm sporadic, at best, at watching, so I really should have just turned it off.. I can't believe she sent Marcus home, by the way?! That was the only home date I caught, but I thought we didn't like Nick? Is she going to end up with a dud.. Damnit.. I hope not.. And then they got the news about the loss of a fella that had been on the show?? That was truly awful and I felt so bad for them.. Not really sure how to successfully transition from that, but did you catch Ninja Warrior?! That was the other thing keeping me awake.. Those cannon balls, or whatever.. And the guy cherry dropped off?!..good times. As you can see, I'm easily distracted from sleep..
I got to coach at the gym yesterday while the boys stayed home with a babysitter. It was a lot of fun!..for everyone, I think.. I got in a quick second workout before I started my coaching duties. I decided I wanted to do 15 muscle ups in as few sets as possible, so I started with that.. I got it done in a set of 4/3/4/4, so we are getting better! For regionals this year, I had 15 to do and it took me about 4 minutes and my sets were more like a 3, maybe a couple 2's..and then singles til I was done so I wouldn't miss any more (if I missed 3, I was done.. I missed 2?!.. No pressure! Side note, I oddly never really was worried that I would miss a third, though I should have been.. But it never really crossed my mind. Strange, kind of..). So, anyway..the set of 15 yesterday was a big improvement in the last 2 months, so I'm happy with that. Still a long way to go, but I'll take gradual improvement every time.
Next I had decided that I wanted to work on high volume, light weight barbell work, which can be a weakness of mine.. And I also wanted some more double under work.. So after some thinking, I remembered the first open workout from this year, which fit the bill quite nicely. It was, I think, a 9 min?..AMRAP of 15 snatches (55#) and 30 double unders.. I didn't want quite the volume that 9 min would have given me, since this was my second workout of the day AND we are doing maxes this week.. So I decided on 5 rounds of that couplet..and it was still plenty rough! After that, I got to work on coaching others!
So then this morning we maxed our Deadlift, which is not my favorite thing to do and I hadn't done it in a loooooong time.. I settled for 295#, because I could tell things would get ugly if I went much beyond that.. We did tabata strict pull ups after that, which means work for :20, rest for :10, repeat for 8 rounds.. I managed 6 in my first set..then 5.. Then I hung on to 4 for each of the remaining rounds and called it good. Next up was max push press! I pretty much knew where this one was going and quickly worked up to 155# and stopped there.. Just some weighted back extensions (35#) and then time for the workout!

3 rounds
15 Deadlift (155#)
15 strict handstand push-ups
500m row ( it was pouring and lightning out..and I don't do lightning, so the 400m run had to turn in to a row.. Made it a ton harder, in my opinion, but at least I didn't get soaked and/or zapped by a bolt of lightning!)

Not too bad, but the row slowed me down a tick.. Took me 13:30; did all DL and HSPU unbroken, so I guess that is the 'win' in that one!

And now.. Home with my boys, who are both in need of a bath! About to take care of that.. Sweaty summer boys be stinky! I'm the kind of tired where I fall asleep any time I sit down, so I think we will have family rest time here after baths. Tonight I teach tumbling and then I'm hoping to get out to the pool for a quick dip.. Maybe some laps.. Try to remember how to swim.. We will see! Rumor 'round town (via not subtle at all hints on the face books) is that there will be a swim at Granite Games, so I'd like to get maybe some of my swim form back, so I can hopefully fare well on that. Should be fine, right? Maybe I'll get to wear my wetsuit..'cause crossfitters need a few more accessories! (Do they come in neon? Can I put a funny phrase..preferably including, but not limited to, inappropriate innuendo that may or may not make any sense in the context? Perfect.. Probably only need it once? Great.. Then I'll just take 5!.. But one more thing, do they make booty short wetsuits?)
And with that.. I bid you adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment