GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, July 7, 2014

Feeling good..then quickly humbled

Crossfit has this amazing ability to lift you up, and then just as quickly, knock you back down a peg or two..thousand..
Today, as I mentioned, was the start of a max out week, and I got off to a pretty good start. Up for today was squats and snatches. I was able to hit 245# for my squat max today, which is up 15# from the last max that I remember doing.. Not bad! Snatches felt good today, too. I worked my way up to match my max at 145# with just 1 miss. Still felt good, so went for 150# and hit it solid on the first attempt. I had to drop to rock bottom to get it, but it went up relatively easy..so 5# pr! I made 1 attempt at 155#, but sometimes you can just tell when a wt isn't quite there yet, so I just cut my losses and moved on to snatch extensions.
After some Weighted GHDs (sit-ups..used a 14# med ball), it was time for the workout.. It looked ok to me on paper..as usual.. Probably a sure sign that it will not go well.. So it was a 12 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute) with evens being 15 wallballs (14# med ball to 10' target) and 30 double unders, odds were 3 power snatch at 80% (I went a little over and did 125#). Well..usually an EMOM gives some designated short, but regular rest times.. Not this time! From the first minute, I barely finished in time.. Meaning even fresh and unbroken, the wallballs and du were tough to complete in the minute.. So then you quickly move to snatches.. Which went fine, it was just hard to catch up once you're barely making the minutes.. So basically, it was a good workout and the intention was to make me push a decent pace with decent volume and move quicker through heavier snatches.. Mission accomplished! Even though I technically 'failed' at this workout, since I didn't make all the rounds in the minute, I still feel alright with how it went because I was able to move that 125# bar pretty well! even when I was tired and rushed. Plus, as Mike, my coach, pointed out..it was a new shoe pr, since that was the first time I had snatched that wt in non-weightlifting shoes! I know a lot of folks do a lot of their lifting in non-weightlifting shoes, but I'm a big fan of using proper equipment for the task at hand.. But sometimes the workout calls for it, so I guess it's good to know I can do it? Anyway..that's my day so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment