GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Learning to sprint..

Wednesday! Here we go..
Started off as usual with an early workout, so we will start there. Today was:

6 sets of 2 bench press at 150#
Weighted strict dips (8kg), EMOM 4 rounds at 5 reps, 4 rds at 4 reps, and 4 sets of 3
Romanian Deadlift at 195, 3 sets of 3/strict toe to bar, 3 sets of 15

The workout was:
2 rounds
20 dumbbell thrusters (30#)
20 chest to bar pull-ups
20 burpee box jumps

This workout went fine. I paced the first round to get a feel for it and definitely had enough gas to pick it up a bit for the second round.. I think this one was walking a fine line of pushing too hard and dying off in the second round..or pacing too much.. I think I fell somewhere in the middle. I pushed hard, though probably could have done a little bit more.. Maybe. It took me 8:38 to finish and it felt like a good workout.

I wasn't sure if I would go back for more or not.. I was pretty tired, so knew I would need a rest and then could decide from there. Our morning was uneventful and, of coarse, I felt better after some rest, so I decided we would go back for more.. I figured I could do something with muscle ups..maybe something snatchy? Then some work on front squats and cleans with my ongoing quest to make those better.. And then I had my eye on a sprint type EMOM workout that the gym had listed for Monday. So..here's what I came up with..

8 EMOM: evens 4 MU, odds 6 single arm snatch (55#).. It went well!
Then did light sets of 1 1/4 front squats and some light clean and jerks with the focus being perfect form, good bottom/upright position.. I think I achieved that goal here..
Then that workout I mentioned.. It was:
12 min EMOM
Evens
10 wallballs
30 du
Odds
12 burpees

My goal with this was to sprint each round. I've never been much of a sprinter.. Hence my ironman past.. The longer I have to catch up with people, the better! So I'm needing to work on that ability to GO and not think about how I should pace things.. Some workouts just aren't long enough to benefit us smart pacers..darn it! I finished all the evens right at :40 and the odds took :30. Overall, I think it went well! I finished off with some core..100 Russian twists(10#) and 100 abmats.
And that was all she wrote for Wednesday! Tomorrow is an active recovery kind of day, so I'll take it a little easier. I won't have time for a second workout anyway because I guess I need to go school supply shopping! I hope I can find everything.. Mason gets to meet his teacher tomorrow and see his classroom and we got a letter from his teacher saying the kids should have all their supplies so they can set up their desks! So much for shopping this weekend.. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment