GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Fun Workout!

Today was actually a lot of fun.. Started out with sleeping in all the way to almost 6! I didn't quite make it to the alarm.. That's what happens when most mornings start in the 4 o'clock hour! So I packed up my things for working out and working at the gym.. First came some gym clean-up, but then it was time for the real work! I had a lot of ideas for what I wanted to do.. Legs. Core. Cardio-ish. And some skill work.. All in about an hour..
Started off with some 1 1/4 squats to work on better positioning.. Just did doubles every 45s, increasing wt every 3 sets, for 10 minutes.. I keep it light with these, so went 105/115/125/135/155.
Next up, my friend Nicci came to join me! She was on our regional team this year and is dealing with some shoulder injury stuff, so I told her we would stick with legs and core..things I need to work on anyway, so it all works out.
First up, I had a terrible plan to work on my sled pushing.. It's a good idea because I'm terrible at them, but also an awful idea because..sled pushes are awful! So my plan was to do an 'every minute' deal, doing about 100ft sled push on even minutes and then 5 air squats and a 100m 'sprint' on the odd minutes.. I think we made about 8 rounds? So 4 total sled pushes each.. I plan to keep doing this workout, or something similar, on Sundays when we didn't have any sled pushes on other days in the week.. Maybe I'll improve on it?
So that was rough..
Then while Nicci did her squats, I worked on my muscle ups and the single arm snatches that crushed me earlier this week..turns out I CAN do those damn snatches just fine, I just stunk at them on Monday? Who knows why that happens.. But I did another 'every minute' deal; evens were a set of 4 muscle ups and odds were 6 snatches. Each minute went the same..took just under 20 seconds, so had no trouble getting 8 rounds of that. This was good because not only did I work on a weakness with the single arm snatches (with a 55# dumbbell), but this was the first time I made 4 sets of 4 muscle ups! I've been on a mission to increase my sets of muscle ups for a few weeks..or months?.. Probably forever, but definitely more focused on it lately.. Last month I made sets of 3 my regular thing, so this month I'm making sets of 4 the new norm..so far..yay! So that was that..
Then we moved on to 4 rounds of 200 m sandbag run (60#), 10 box jumps. Nothing too crazy, just moving.
And finally.. A partner row/l-sit workout..1 person rows a 100m sprint while the other holds an l-sit, switch, repeat..until you've each done 10 rounds. It was good! Again, not too crazy and totally do-able, but I actually can feel my abs a bit now, so maybe it was a pretty good workout? Anyway. We had fun and I hope we can do it again soon!
After I got done working out and working at the gym, we all went out to check out some bunk beds for Miles! We decided that bunk beds would be a good plan for his next bed, so we will make that transition pretty soon! Probably some time around his birthday..should be interesting.. Miles has been a pretty easy 'go to bed' kid for a while, but lately he's been a little..demanding? More books. More sitting in the chair. Needs his blanket. Wants to look at the book.. Not that book.. Yes, that book.. It goes on and on. Not sure how or why this started, but probably need to get a handle on this soon! We actually try not to succumb to all his requests and just stick with our usual bedtime routine, so we should be able to get him back on track.. Thinking maybe it had something to do with family being in town and probably catering more to his adorable requests?..which include hard to resist requests for 'huggies', kisses, play time, etc.. Oh, well.. Like I said, we'll get him back on the straight and narrow! (Right.. I totally played with him and then went back in for an extra hug tonight.. One giant sucker over here..) Other than that, just the usual summer fun! Mason has been doing so well with riding his bike this summer and he loves it! We took his training wheels off..last spring maybe? With little success and even less interest.. But somehow he just got right on and took off this summer?! And that's about it for us.. No big plans yet for this week.. Major goal is to get Mason signed up for a week of camp at the Y. I want him to give it a try, but something tells me it may be a bit much for him.. We will see. We are actually going to visit my family in KC in a couple weeks and then school starts, so not really much time left..
It's a max out week at the gym.. So wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment