GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Buns of steel

Suzanne Summers has nothing on CrossFit when it comes to workin that booty. Between squats, snatches, weighted lunges, thrusters, and weighted over the box step overs, my legs are feelin it! Luckily, today didn't call for any squatting, though, obviously that's not to say my legs weren't busy.. Today was:
Power clean from power position: 2 sets of 3@115#, 2 sets of 3@125#, 1 set of 3@135#
Push press: sets of 4@135/145/155#
4 sets of 8 good mornings @75#
4 sets of 6 vertical jumps (working on jumping from power position to help with lifts)

This all went well and felt relatively easy. I'm guessing this is by design..my coach is no dummy and it seems like every time I think something just worked out well by surprise, turns out it was all a part of his master plan (ie: heavy DL before a workout w lighter DL.. Makes the workout wt feel easier!..go figure!). So I'm sure today was supposed to feel easy after a fairly tough day the day yesterday.. One thing that was a little tough, which I intentionally pushed myself on, was the push press. I really had to fight for the last rep at 155#, but I got it!
The workout was:
5 rounds
3 hang cleans (135#)
3 push press (135#)
15 cal row

I felt like I did pretty well on this.. Did all the barbell work unbroken and fairly quickly.. I didn't really rest or mess around in my transitions.. I know my row isn't fast, but I felt like I moved through it as well as I could. All told, it took me 10:09 to complete. I say I 'felt' like I had done well because, A) I was kind of surprised it took me 10 min.. I thought I was moving faster? Time flies when you're having fun, I guess? And B) others of our crew that did this workout seem to be completing it around 7:30?! I honestly don't know how I could have gone over 2 min faster.. I guess I'm just THAT bad at rowing!? Damn it.. Unless I was just moving slower than I thought.. But there's not much I can do about the row.. I work on it and work to optimize what I've got, but if I push it too hard in a workout, I turn into a complete mess and can hardly move through the next thing.. So it's a balancing act, I suppose. But overall, despite how others did, I feel good about how I moved through it. I don't think I had been able to get through hang cleans at 135 as efficiently as I did today in any previous workouts at that weight..and I know my STO (shoulder to overhead) has improved a ton.. So I'll take it. Y'all just keep your speedy rowing and I'll keep my 'cruising down the river with a beer in my hand' pace.. You think you're so cool with your tallness..and your big pulls.. Good for YOU!!
So that was it for the morning sesh. I went home to tend to the young'uns..send Mason off on the bus and gather Miles up for the trip to the gym. I wanted to go back in to practice another one of the granite games workouts that has been released.. Deadlifts and rope climbs and burpees.. I warmed up with some sets of Deadlifts. I went a little heavier than 80% so I could have a bit of that 'ah, this is lighter' effect for the workout.. So I built up to sets of 4 at 265#. The workout is:
5 rounds with a 10 min time cap
2 rope climbs
4 DL(240#)
8 over the bar burpees
This one wasn't too bad! I mean..it hurt and wasn't easy, but I easily finished within the time cap, completing the work in 7:57. I think I can go a little faster, too, which I have no doubt I'll need to if I'm going to hang with the big dogs! I probably shouldn't call them 'dogs', aye? Definitely won't refer to them as such when we are out there competing! I did some core work..50 abmats/50 v-ups/50 rowboats and a couple muscle ups, but otherwise, called it a day! I had to rush home to get Miles' bed delivered, afterall.. Big stuff happening for our little guy.. Hope he's ready!..or more accurately.. I hope WE are ready! And that's about it for today! I have some fun team things to look forward to this weekend.. I think my bracket buster team is going to try to meet on Friday to do the qualifier workout; and then Saturday is a fun-filled day of workouts for the on-line CrossFit Team Series.. Good times! Of coarse, Miles also turns 2 on Monday, so fun times to be had, there, as well! And..right now the poor lil guy is crying for me, so I'd better run!

No comments:

Post a Comment