GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, August 18, 2014

Gonna take you by surprise and make you realize..

Amanda. That was the benchmark workout o' the day.. I was looking forward to it! But first, the business of lifting weights and trying to lift heavier weights needed to be tended to.. Starting with the squat.
I tried to take the 'take a few more warm up reps' approach, but squats were just feeling heavy today. I was able to slowly stand up 245#, which was my current max squat.. Even though it didn't feel awesome, I thought surely I could handle 5 more pounds..right? That way I could make it a nice, even 250?! Well, I was wrong. I made a valiant effort.. Kept my chest high, which I've been working on not allowing my chest to drop and butt to shoot back, so that part was good. I dropped way down to the bottom, which is another part of the squat I have been working to do a better job of.. I've always been technically low enough in my squats, but lately have been trying to get used to getting all the way to the bottom of a squat to allow for use of the 'bounce reflex' out of the bottom, which transfers over well into the strength needed in a clean. Well, I took that 250 to the bottom, bounced up a little..but then got stuck and had to bail.. Luckily I had a spot, so no big deal. Just wasn't quite there yet! Sometimes you can miss a rep and think 'I should try that again'..this was not one of those occasions.. So while the pr wasn't achieved, I still felt good about making a good effort at maintaining the form that I have been working on and which will be the most beneficial for improving my lifts.. Not great, but I'll take it..
Next up was snatching! I was feeling pretty good and the weights moved well all the way up to 150#, which.. If you had told me I would be able to snatch 150 pretty easily, I never would have believed it.. So it was kind of nice to have that feel like an easy snatch. I moved on to 155#, which would match the pr that I hit a couple weeks ago at the competition.. The first few moved really well, and I thought I was going to be able to get under it pretty easily.. But I kept finishing with the bar just a tad out in front and couldn't quite stick it. Again, though.. I was happy with how well it moved and I know it was just a slight positioning thing that was a little off and it would have been an easy lift. The more I tried, though, the more tired I got, so I eventually had to call it a day. Not a big deal, though. I still feel good about how my lifts are progressing.. Sometimes the max just isn't quite ready!
I had some snatch Deadlifts (4x3 @110%, so 175#) and some weighted GHDs (4x10 w 14#) to do before the workout.. Those went fine, thanks for asking!
The workout was Amanda, which, as I said, I was excited about. Amanda is:
9-7-5
Muscle ups
Full snatch (95#)

I've done this workout a couple times before.. I remember the first time I did it, each snatch was basically a 1 rep max and my MU were all in singles.. It was pretty much 'skill work for time' and I'm pretty sure it took around 30 min? The next time I remember doing the workout was around the Open time this year, so early spring? I believe my time was in the 12 minute range and I was pretty excited about that. Well, given all my MU work lately, I was thinking I could do even better than that. Today my time was 7:40. I started off pretty strong with a good set of 5 MU. I thought about going for 6, but didn't want to miss.. Well, I missed my 3rd of the next set, so finished out the 9 with sets of 2. I took the snatches in sets of 3 and that worked well.. I was back to the rings before they stopped swinging! I made it through the set of 7 MU in 4 and 3; snatches did 3/2/2 because I didn't want to wear out my grip. My set of 5 MU was less than perfect.. Did a set of 3, but then missed my second MU of the next set, so had to finish with 2 singles.. Not a huge deal, but definitely could have shaved :30-1:00 off my time without those misses..darn it.. Next time! I did my last 5 snatches unbroken to finish off the workout. And that's all she wrote for today! I'll head back to the gym to work this evening, but since this week is maxes and benchmark workouts, which I want to give myself the best shot at doing well on, so this week I will back off of the 2-a-days.. Back to it next week, though, but then probably a bit of a taper heading in to the competition.. It's coming soon! They just released a workout: 12-9-7 cleans(155) and MU.. Here we go! It's a 9 min time cap.. If it's just power cleans, and not full squat, I may have a shot to finish it all.. Maybe? Full squat would just take longer.. I'll try it out probably a time or 2.. Time to put all this practice to work! They have also said that the first workout will be a 'snatch ladder of sorts'.. Whatever that means! But I'm definitely getting excited!.. And nervous.. But one dy at a time.. For now, I'm just focused on the lifts and workouts planned for this week! Starting off with a solid Amanda pr..now bring on Diane!

No comments:

Post a Comment