GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Roaming exerciser

It's been a pretty busy weekend of exercise use, so far.. Some see a long weekend as a chance to rest, but not me! Well.. Rest is lovely and all, but I enjoy the chance to get good workouts in, too. I started off with a little rest.. I opted to skip my early morning workout time because I knew I had a busy day and evening that wouldn't include any rest. I needed to meet up with my team for the upcoming Bracket Buster competition to do a workout which will help to seed the teams (it's a bracket style comp, so I guess they want to at least try to match up teams like they would for March Madness.. We'll see how it goes!) mid-day and one of the guys on the team said he would do the regular days training (he follows the same program that I do) after that workout, so I decided a little extra rest in the morning would be the better option for the day. It wound up working well.. Mason had the day off school, so I knew I needed to not be a tired mommy to keep up with my guys! The morning went pretty much exactly how you hope a morning won't go.. I won't bore with the details, but it was rough! We did manage to get Miles in for a haircut, which was badly needed! So we will call it.. Maybe not a win, but perhaps a draw? Anyway.. My mother in law got in to town (birthday weekend!) and to our house about noon and I had to take off right away to head out to meet with the team.
The team workout went well.. It was:
10 min time cap
(Female partners)
5 over the bar burpees
50 thrusters (45#)
(Then males go w 65# bar)
(Female partners)
10 over the bar burpees
40 shoulder to overhead (65#)
(Males go w 95# bar)
(Female partners)
15 over the bar burpees
30 squats (95#)
(Males go with 135#)
We completed the workout in 9:10.. Hate to say it, but it was a pretty easy workout. I think the hardest part for me was just doing those 15 burpees as quick as I could! Otherwise..felt pretty good! So after that, we did the strength and workout for the day.. It was:
Power snatch from power position: 3@95#,3@105#,2(2@115#)
Strict press: 2 sets of 4@105#, 2 sets of 4@110#
Snatch high pull:4 sets of 5@135#/4x15 back extensions
Then the workout:
15 ground to overhead(GTO)@30#
15 walking lunges (each leg)@30#
50 double unders(DU)
12 GTO
12 lunges
50 du
9 GTO
9 lunges
50 du
6 GTO
6 lunges
50 du
3 GTO
3 lunges
50 du

Not too bad.. Shoulders were burning pretty bad, but I finished in 10:44. And that was it for Friday workouts. I went straight from there down to JoCo to work for the evening, which is always fun! I was stinky and sweaty, but so is everyone else at the gym.. Especially these days with it being so hot, you don't even have to be working out to be a sweaty mess.
Saturday also had a slightly more leisurely start, since we were meeting up in Madison, IN, about an hour and a half away, to do the on-line team series workouts! One of the guys on the team had to work all night, so he requested we not start until 11a.. Didn't even have to set an alarm! But I got my stuff ready, met up with John and his wife, Lisa, and we were on our way! It was a fun day of working out.. We started with:
10 min for all 4 of us to find a 3 rep max front squat.
I had an idea of where I would be and it went pretty well. I started with 185#, which felt pretty good. After the guys took a set, I went again for 195#.. I got that done, but I wouldn't call it pretty.. But no beauty points for squats, so I'll take it! With a 1 rep max front squat at 210, I think that was pretty good for 3.. That third one was rough! I was going to go for 200#, if we had time.. But I was hardly pushing people out if the way to get to it.. Given the ugliness of the 3rd rep at 195, I was a little concerned that things might get rough if I went heavier and this was only the first of 4 workouts to do today.. Didn't want to strain my back! Don't get me wrong.. I would have done it, but when time ran out, I wasn't exactly bummed.. So that was my front squat..
We quickly moved on to the thruster/chest to bar pull-up workout.. It was:
2 m/f partners work to complete:
30 thrusters
30 CTB
20 thrusters
20 CTB
10 thrusters
10 CTB
The male and female work at the same time on the opposite movement, so while the male does thrusters, the female works through CTB. You can't switch movements until your partner is done. Then the next partners do the same..
I was partnered with Nick (Fory) and he was moving quick! I busted my butt to try to keep up as best I could and we finished our part in about 6min.. I hadn't hurt that bad in a while! But it feels good to push hard and I feel like we did well. The whole workout took our team 13:40.
We took a bit more of a break after this one! But then moved on to the relay workout, which was:
1 person at a time:
30 calorie row
30 bar facing burpees
30 hang cleans(95#)
Rowing is a tough one for me.. There's not too much I can do about it, because if I overdo it on the row, it completely blows up my workout..so my part took me about 5:30 and our total time for the team was 18:40 something, I think? Nick went last and he blew through it! I moved alright, but nothing too special. I managed to hang on for 20 hang cleans before a small break and then finishing up the 30..
Last, but not least was a variation of one of the open workouts from this year.. It was:
Alternating rounds with your partner (so a 1:1 work:rest, which was nice!):
30 du
15 snatch (55# for us, 75# for the fellas)
We all moved well through that.. The guys alternated for 12 min, then the girls were up for our 12 minutes. Guys finished 13 rounds +2 du and we completed 12 rounds +18 du. All of us went unbroken on the snatches throughout the workout and I don't think we had many trip ups on the rope..like maybe just 1 trip up each? Not sure, but I felt like we did a good job on that one.. And that was it! Our first weekend of workouts for the team series in the books!
But it doesn't stop there, folks.. Sunday is here and that's always a good time for working out! I had a few things planned.. First I wanted to do some work on my running and then go through a granite games workout.. So I did a 800m warm up, and then 3x1mi repeats with a small break in between each mile. My goal was to be in the 7:20-7:40 range, but I finished my first mile in 6:59, so figured I should try to maintain that pace or even negative split! My next mile was 6:58 and the third was 6:45.. I was happy with that. As JD and I dubbed it my 'crossfit to 5k' plan.. So far seems to be going pretty well. Next up was the sprint/HSPU workout from the upcoming competition..
Run 100'
Run with 60# object (I used our sandbag) 100'
20 HSPU
100' sprint
100' carry
10 HSPU w 9" deficit
100' sprint
100' carry
5 HSPU w 12" deficit
This went pretty well.. I went slightly over the time cap, but I had to adjust my HSPU deficit between rounds, so I think I should be able to go a little faster.. Plus this was the first time for me to try a 12" deficit, so I took it a little slower.. It looked crazy! So mentally had to get myself ready to try it. But once I did, it felt fine, so I should be ok!
Next up was to do my day 6 stuff.. It looked like this..
Overhead squats: 4@115, 4@125, 3(4@135)
Snatch balance(no dip): 4 sets of 3 @85#
Sotts press:4(6@55#)/4x15 GH raises
Then the workout:
21/15/9
Overhead squats(95#)
CTB
This went pretty well.. I know I had just done 60 CTB the previous day, but I have a workout for the competition with 80 CTB in it, so figured I better keep practicing! I tried to go unbroken on the OHS and almost made it!..but my shoulders needed a break at 13 of 15, so I had to set it down for a second.. Not a huge deal.. CTB went well and I did the rounds in 15/6, 10/5, and all 9.. And it felt pretty good! Overall this took me 5:34 to complete.
I took a bit of a break to coach for a bit, but then tried to do some muscle ups.. It wasn't a great day on those and I didn't really have a plan or workout in mind for them.. I did about 15 and just wanted to use it as practice.. And that was all she wrote! Literally.. That's all I'm going to write for now because I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment