GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Workin my Ninja Warrier grip strength!

Ah, Tuesday.. Here we are already! I really need to catch up on my sleep, but we will get there, I'm sure.. Some day.. Anyway. Monday I got right back in the swing of things, as far as training Nd everything.. No rest for the wicked! 'WWtED', yknowmsayn.. Probably not. That's fine. But I actually felt fine, body wise.. Even though we were up and about for a long time through the competition weekend, the events were short and spread out and it actually amounted to a relatively lighter workout load for a weekend for me.. I'm not sure what that says about me? But either way, other than a little more sleepy than usual, I felt good to go monday mornin.. So I went!
Mondays workout was:

5 sets of 2 squats at 90%, so 225#.. Which felt heavy, probably because of the sleepiness thing..
10 min EMOTM of 1 snatch at 70-80%, so I did a couple at 125#, which is about 70%, then moved to 135# for the rest! which put me closer to the 80% mark. It went well..felt pretty good.
3 sets of snatch extension at 100%(155#)/3 sets of 15 GHDs with 14# medball
Then the workout! One of the Games workouts that I had wanted to try..

12/15/9 complex

8 Deadlift (115#)
7 cleans (115#)
6 snatch (you guessed it..also at 115#. Wt stays the same through the workout)
8 pull-ups
7 chest to bar pull-ups
6 bar muscle ups
6 DL
5 cleans
4 snatch
6 pu
5 ctb's
4 bar MU
4 DL
3 cleans
2 snatch
4 pu
3 ctb's
2 bar MU

It sounds complicated, but I swear it makes sense and isn't hard to follow along.. Basically there were 21 barbell and bar movements in the first round, 15 of each in the second, and 9 of each in the third round. I knew the bar movements would be stronger for me, so I planned to do singles on cleans and snatches, which worked well. I had practiced the pu/ctb's/bar MU combo connecting them prior to the workout and, though it wasn't easy, I could do it.. But during the workout, I could not get the bar MU to connect out of my CTB pu.. So that took a little extra time, but I just quickly dropped and would re-start the bar MU portion, always doing the rest of the set unbroken. I did run in to a slight hiccup when a significant portion of my hand decided to jump ship and bail on me.. Thanks a lot, hand! It had been a while since I'd dealt with a rip, but I could kind of tell I was about due.. I made it through the weekend just fine, but there was a decent amount of bar and barbell work, so my hands were slightly tender.. Then the bar and barbell work on Monday, my hand had just had it. But I continued and got it done in 8:50. Not quite as fast as I had hoped for. I also think I could have pushed harder because right after the workout, Mike was asking me where the hardest part was and I had a hard time identifying one.. Likely meaning I didn't push it enough. I also quickly transitioned into the gym's workout for the day (with a slight modification to avoid more pull-ups!), which was:

200 m shuttle run
50 squats
40 abmats
3 strict MU (my alteration.. It was 30 pull-ups as written)
200m
40 squats
30 abmats
2 strict MU
200m
30 squats
20 abmats
1 strict MU

So that was it for Monday's exercise! I got to head back later to work, which was fun.. Good stuff!
Now here we are on Tuesday and I'm feeling super sleepy.. Like I canNOT wait for nap time today! But I got my workout in.. Today was:

5 sets of 2 Deadlift at 90%, so 275#. This was made extra interesting with my grip issue dealing with my raw rip. I had wrapped it up in some stretchy tape and didn't think it would be that bad, but every way I tried to grab on to the bar seemed to pinch that raw spot and it hurt like the dickens! (Poor me.. So sad..) So I had to just grab on with my fingers and that made it a little tougher to pull.. But, I guess the good news there is that the weight felt fine..just my hand that was hurting..
Strict pull-ups with :05 second descent: 5 reps EMOTM x 10 min..yeouch! But I made it..
3 sets of 1 push press (155)/3 sets of 15 back extensions(35)

Workout was: heavy/strict Diane (I think)
21/15/9:
Deadlift (205)
Strict HSPU

Again, with the hand/grip issue, I had to keep the DL sets small..mostly 3's with a quick reset to try to hang on. Strict HSPU went pretty well. I broke up the sets of 21 and 15 into 2 smaller sets, but saved enough in the 'HSPU reserve tank' to do the last 9 unbroken.. Finished in 8:34.
So I survived my tender hand issue for the day. I actually think I'm just going to try to rest and heal the rest of the day today.. I have some fun on tap with the rings tomorrow, so my hand better be ready! I'm sure it will be.. It has almost a whole 20-some hours to do so! Maybe I need some more protein..rest? Preparation H? I don't know.. HEAL, little hand! HEAL!.. There.. That ought to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment