GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Friday, August 15, 2014

Cleans are exhausting

Whew. I don't know what it was about today's workout, but it's over 12 hrs later and I'm still feeling the effects. I mean, I'm ok..but I just feel physically tired.. Like even breathing feels like a chore.. Is that normal? I think it's safe to say that this mornings combination of exercises was a good one.. Here's what I did:

5 single front squats at 95%, so 195#. These went well, which always bodes well for a day full of cleans!
20 min e2motm 1 clean at 90-100%: I did 4 sets at 175#, which went well, so I moved to 5 sets of 180#. Somehow that 5# jump felt like a million pounds! but it still went pretty well. I had one miss, but that was just because of poor positioning, and not because I was too tired to lift it.. The rest all went fine. I tried my last rep at 185#, but just didn't have enough left.. Not bad and definitely the most 175#+ cleans that I have ever done in one workout, so I'll take it as a win.
4 sets of 4 clean high pulls at 175#/ 4 sets of 15 GH raises
Pretty tired, lightheaded and I've seen stars multiple times at this point, but the show must go on and time was running low, so bring on the workout!

6 rounds
5 Squat cleans (145#)
5 jerks (145#)
50' handstand walk
1:1 work/rest ratio

Yikes! This was pretty exhausting, like I mentioned before.. And, again..lots of stars.. But each round went about the same.. Finished the cleans in under a minute, connected the 5 jerks in 1 quick set, and then did the handstand walk as quickly as I could. Most rounds took me between 2:00-2:15, with 1 round being 2:30 (waiting patiently for some nice folks to make way for the hs walk) and the last round took under 2:00. All said and done, including the rest, it took me about 24:08. I say 'about' because I was upside down and dizzy, so my memory of the exact time on the clock escapes me..but it was something like that.
After going home and hanging with Miles, doing a little Gymboree music class, taking a lil nap, I thought going back to the gym to hit their 'move odd objects' workout of the day sounded like a good idea.. I wouldn't say it was a 'bad' idea, but I'm also not sure I was able to give 100% on it, either.. Turns out I was still feeling that worn-down-ness from the morning, but I gave it a go.. It was a partner workout, so about a 1:1 work/ rest thing..

6 min AMRAP
60# Sandbag carry (200m increments)
1 min rest
5 min AMRAP
53# farmers carry (100m increments)
1 min rest
4 min AMRAP
180# sled push (100' increments)
Then I added 3 min AMRAP of MU

Like I said, felt a little sluggish, but everything went pretty well..until the sled pushes.. I think my sled was actually 10# over, but I think it was just my tired legs and worn down cardio machine that slowed me down. I did manage to squeak out 13 MU in those 3 minutes, despite being as tired as I was.. Again.. Not outstanding, but I'll take it as a win. So. Better get to bed, since I have an early morning workout and then we get to head out for Matt's work thing..called E-lympics..which usually means I play with the kids on the playground and try to keep them from fussing about wanting to see daddy while he's playing sand volleyball with his co-workers..yay! It's fun for Matt and a good thing for their work community, and I'm sure the kids will have some fun.. But, as with many things, it is usually a lot of driving and wrangling on my part.. But ya gotta do these things some times! Matt certainly does more than his share of those duties during my events and such, so it's my turn and I'm happy to do it. But for now.. We sleep..

No comments:

Post a Comment