GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Oh, good! The 2013 fittest woman on earth signed up!

So.. Yikes. What on earth have I gotten myself into, here, with these upcoming Granite Games? Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much excited about it and looking forward to it and see it as a huge opportunity to push myself out of any sort of comfort zone I may have been in, but geesh.. Maybe I could have eased my way out of the comfort zone? Followed a 12 step plan instead of just a giant leap off the comfort zone cliff?! I already knew of some of the big names that I was going to be up against, which were intimidating enough, but I had come to terms with where I would struggle and where I might do a little better.. But now it's been announced that none other than Ms Fittest Alive from the 2013 CrossFit Games, Sam Briggs is coming to town.. To compete.. Against me?! Oh....shit.. Sorry, but there's not really any other way to put it.. I'm sure, as with the other announced heavy hitters, I'll reconcile this and come to terms with how this will go down.. Mostly it's going to be a huge opportunity for me to see how the top athletes get it done. But is it mean to say that I hope every workout includes handstand walks? A lot of them? All over the place? But she's been working on those, too, so not sure that will help. If nothing else, I have the greatest seat in the house for watching her and the other top gals compete..and we will probably become best friends and most likely she will want to exchange emails and braid pigtails and stuff.. So.. FUN, you guys!
So what have I been doing these last couple days to prepare for this showdown? So glad you asked..
Tuesday went a lil something like this:

5 Deadlift singles at 95%, so 285# (what's that? Briggs can pick up more?..damnit..)
20 min e2motm strict CTB pull-ups: I started with a strong set of 7.. Then..couple 6's.. Then finished the rest of the sets with 5's
4 sets of 3 push press(135-155#)/4 sets of 20 back extensions
Workout:

5 rounds
8 dl(205)
16 CTB
50 du

This workout was pretty tough..mostly in breath? DL sets are exhausting, y'all.. I started doing the DL sets unbroken, but realized doing 2 quick sets of 4 would work just as well and not take as much out of me.. Chest to bar pull-ups went well and I maintained sets of 10/6.. No ripped up hands today, but man where they tender! Double unders also went mostly well and the workout took me 15:18.

When I got home, I was trying to decide if/what else I should do for training that day.. I did feel super tired, which made it tough to think of what I needed to do. I also had to recognize that my fairly high volume weekend had left me stuck on my snatches on Monday.. Even though I wound up going back for some good workouts that day, I needed to be aware of what my body was saying.. So. I decided to rest and then just do a quick little 'at home' something-something, so I did 50 burpees and 5 min L-sit and called it good. I used to do burpees at home a few times a week a while back..they still aren't that much fun!
So now to today.. Wednesday..

5 bench singles at 95%, so 170#. This felt pretty heavy, but went well.
20 min e2motm strict ring dips: couple rounds of 8, few rounds of 7, the rest at 6
4 sets of 4 RDL @ 175/ 4 sets of 10 strict TTB's
The workout..

500m row
10 MU
50' front rack lunge w fat bar (115#)
400 m row
8 MU
50' lunge
300 m row
6 MU
50' lunge
200 m row
4 MU
50' lunge
100 m row
2 MU
50' lunge

I started out a little rough on this one.. Thinking maybe the bench and dips may have had something to do with it.. Plus rowing never seems to improve my MU, so I was only able to get 3's in my first set of MU, which slowed me down a bit.. I did that set in 3/3/2/2 and was feeling kinda bummed about that.. But, I soldiered on and kept up my sets of 3 MU throughout the workout. I must have warmed up a bit because I even squeaked out a set or 2 of 4's, so it didn't end up being TOO terrible.. It did take me 23:36, which I'm sure is not exactly speedy for this.. But it's what I got!
I was feeling better today, so planned to head back in with Miles later, and we did just that! I wanted to do some of my 1 1/4 squats, so did sets of 3 of those at 105-165# working on maintaining that full depth/good bottom position. Those went pretty well.. I also wanted to do the gym workout of the day, which (I thought) was a fun one! It was:

50 wallballs
500m shuttle sprint (100m down and back 5x..50m out/50m back..ya dig?)
40 hand release (gamer) push ups
400m shuttle run
30 TTB's
300m shuttle run
20 ring rows
200m shuttle run
10 HSPU
100m shuttle run

Like I said.. Fun! Slowest part for me was the push ups.. Had to break those into 15/10/5/5/5, but I kept the breaks super short and to the point. Toes to bar (TTB's) were done in 20/10, but the rest was unbroken. I tried not to use the run as 'rest', so pushed a little harder throughout and I felt the burn! It took me 11:54 to finish.. Totally same-sies as Sam (can I call her Sam?), I'm sure.. Eesh.. If I ever needed motivation to work hard, not getting completely blown out at Granite Games is a good one! All I can say.. However things go for me in Minnesota.. I know I've been working hard and doing all I can to get myself as ready for whatever they have planned for us as I can. And that's all I can do, right?!


No comments:

Post a Comment