GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Monday, August 25, 2014

Case of the Mondays!

So roughly once a year.. I oversleep. This morning was that special time of year! I wasn't overly worked up about it, since I knew I could go in to the gym with Miles later in the morning..but still messed me up a tiny bit.. I just chalked it up to being an indication that I needed a bit more sleep today.. Nothing wrong with that! So I got Mason off to school and Miles and I took off for the gym. Today's work was:
Snatch from power position: 3@85, 3@95, 3@105, 2(2@110)
Squat: 4@155, 4@175, 3(4@200)
Front rack walking lunges: 4 sets of 6(each leg)@125#/4 sets of 15 GHDs
10 EMOTM 2 touch n go snatch @125#
The workout was:
12 min AMRAP
6 MU
4 snatch @125#
200m run

Well.. Everything had been going quite well.. Snatches from power position and the EMOTM both went well. Squats felt strong.. I was feeling good!..til I got to the workout.. For some reason, I thought I should do the workout in regular nanos instead of my combo/lifting shoes. I didn't think it would make a big difference and I'd rather run in regular shoes..but just before I started, I thought to myself..maybe I should have gone with the lifters.. I don't usually do my full lifts in regular shoes.. Nah. I'll be fine.. Famous last words because I sucked at snatches in those shoes! I suppose I could have just been tired, but after doing 20 snatches at 125# in the 10 min EMOTM without any problem..all the sudden I was dropping snatches left and right at the same darn weight. Hmm.. Not cool. I should have started over with different shoes, but I pressed on. Got a tiny bit better, but it was mostly a wash. Silver lining.. My muscle ups went well, all in sets of 4/2. So that was that. Only completed 2 full rounds and then through 2 snatches in the third round. I definitely should have been into the fourth round if I hadn't flubbed those snatches so badly, which was just frustrating.. But, oh, well. I thought about redoing the workout later, but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to burn myself out with too many snatches and muscle ups in the first day of the week. My shoulders have been a bit tired from all the MU last week and the combo of cleans and MU.. And I still need to work on that later this week, so gotta keep my shoulders fresh! I did end up going back in to the gym for a bit that evening. I really wanted to practice for the second team series workout, which is:
30 thrusters(65#)
30 chest to bar pull-ups
20 thrusters
20 CTB
10 thrusters
10 CTB
OHHhhhh, man. This workout was rough. I wanted to time it out a bit.. Mostly the sets of thrusters because that would kind of dictate how quickly the CTB needed to be completed (it's a team workout and 1 M/F pair works at the same time, so while your partner does thrusters, you complete your CTB.. So the time it takes to complete thrusters should ideally be the same as the time to complete CTB pull-ups). I wanted to test it to see if it was worth it to push high volume sets of CTB, or if small, quick sets would get the job done in enough time to complete the work, but maybe with a little less burn out. Well.. I'd say, for sure, at least for me, smaller sets..like 5's, or maybe something like 8/8/8/6 and 8/8/4.. Then go for all 10 in the last set? We will see. I know I can do better than what I did this evening, but it's going to be tough! I also did the gym's workout, which was rough, too! Especially following the thruster workout.. This workout was:
10-8-6-4-2
GTO (30# db)
Burpee step over the box(30# db/20")

Whew! It probably didn't help that it's the hottest day of the summer, so far.. But, ouch! It took me 6:09 to finish and I really didn't stop the whole time..and I definitely felt it! It was a good workout and I needed it after my snatch failure-fest and death by thrusters and ctb's.. And that's it for today! Looking forward to the rest of the workouts and lifting for the week..

No comments:

Post a Comment