GLI comp 1/'14

GLI comp 1/'14

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Triple 3 blunders and a PR

Nice little Sunday over here.. Matt got to experience the joys of finishing a workout (almost) before the sun appears! He is back in training, friends, and he seems serious about this one.. He has another half marathon planned for Nov 1 and my money is on him making it to the start line (and finish line, of coarse..but first things first, yes?) of this one! So since I needed to be out the door by about 7am to go clean/workout/work at the gym, he had to get rolling early. I reminded him that I do this every day to allow him to get to work on time.. He appreciated the reminder, but I continued to help him understand how I've been doing this for him for a couple years now (since I stopped working full time) and that him doing it once a week is really no big deal.. I'm such a big help sometimes.. So he did his run and then I got on my way!
Today I planned to meet up with Jaclyn and Nicci to enjoy some cardio, CrossFit Games style.. We took on the Triple 3! What.. You don't automatically know exactly what I'm talking about? Do you even lift? (Kidding..). So this was a workout which proved to be quite the athlete fave at the games this year!..or not at all. I give crossfitters a hard time on these events because it just seems that there is NO thought to pacing at all. Like they've never run more than 800m at a time, so have no clue how to pace a longer run, yet still try to tackle it at break-neck speed? Only to die at or before the finish line.. Baffling.. I have no idea what the times and paces of the top athletes were in this event, and my argument isn't that they didn't go fast, but that they didn't race smart. I'm sorry, but there really isn't any reason to crumble or lose function of your legs at the end of a 40 minute workout. That's the kind of stuff you see at the end of an ultra event where the body is so out of whack..as in the Ph balance is off in such a way from extreme, prolonged physical exertion that your brain and muscles are no longer communicating or cooperating.. Not because of poor pacing and a lack of understanding their body.. I'm just saying, since events like these seem to appear at the games every year?.. Perhaps it wouldn't be a terrible idea to learn what pace you can maintain to allow for a strong finish.. We put time in to weightlifting.. We wouldn't walk up to a barbell 50# over our 1 rep max and try to snatch it, so why would you try to run a race way over your body's capabilities? Anyhow.. So I was looking forward to taking on this workout with my buddies. I will say this.. Though it took me a bit longer than I had hoped, this was due to lack of proficiency in the double unders and not poor pacing on either the row or the run.. Oh, shoot! I still haven't explained what this 'triple 3' is! It goes a little something like this:
3000m row
300 double unders
3 mi run
Fun, right?! So rowing is not my strong suit and I knew I had to take that part pretty easy to not ruin the rest of the workout. I think I paced around 2:10/500m? Something around there.. Got off the rower around 13:00, which was where I figured I would be. My butt was sore, but overall, it went fine. The double unders, however.. I didn't think this would really be hard, but I've also never really don't 300 of them in one set? I'm sure we have done 300 in a workout before, but doing them all in a row..my shoulders were on fire! I wound up breaking the last 200 into sets of 25, which went fine, but it took me around 6 minutes to finish..yikes! I didn't start my run until after the 20 minute mark..probably closer to 21 minutes..so my goal of 'sub 40' was pretty much out the window at that point. Nicci and I ran together and we ran strong. Not super fast, but held around just under 8 min miles the whole way, so came in at 44:46. Oops? Like I said..the double unders were where I went wrong. I wouldn't have done either of the other 2 parts any differently..at least not at this point in my training.. Guess I need to work on my capacity for bigger sets of double unders? Seriously.. Will my list of things to work on ever get smaller? It has to, right? At some point? Not any time soon, it seems..
After I cooled down from that, I decided that I wanted to see where my overhead squats were these days.. It had been a while since I had looked for a 1 rep max on those, so I just wanted to give it a try. The OHS were feeling pretty good, so I kept going up 10# at a time until I hit what felt like a pretty solid max at 185#! Pretty sure that was a 20# pr for me, so not too shabby. I guess I could have gone for more, since I didn't fail that weight, but it felt like a good place to stop..
Next up..you guessed it! Muscle ups! I did 10 strict and then 20 kipping muscle ups, which went in sets of 5/5/4/4/2.. Those last sets of 4, I just didn't feel like my hands were in the right spot and that 5th wasn't likely to happen..so not perfect, but not too bad..
I called it good after that, so wrapped it up! Like I said.. Nice little Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment